Question about previously opened items in dock?
    Ok.. no biggie here, but kind of an annoying thing that I can't figure out.. Say I open a program up from my dock (for some reason this problem seems to happen more with non apple software) use it, then hit the red button to close it back down when I'm done. Now looking at my dock, there is a black triangle under the icon for the program.. So when I need the program again, I try to open it up, but it won't open! Now I have to click the program until the menu comes up, choose exit, wait for the black triangle to go away, then open it again... Obviously I don't understand the logic that apple uses.. am I doing something wrong?

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
    Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian

Specs:
    13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
    Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian

I think he knows that.

The problem it seems that he is having is that after you close a window (not the program itself), the program won't open a new window when you click the icon again.

I've had this happen to me before. I think you can just go to view in the menu and open a new window. Either that or File > new (I think).

Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    not all programs open new widows when you close the one you were working with, which is probably why he is not having the problem with apple applications because apple aplications open a window when you click on a window-less application.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

Specs:
    Mac's
    Usually Cmd+N (while in that specific app) will open a new window,

Thread Information