New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Question about previously opened items in dock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Geardaddys

Geardaddys is on a distinguished road

Ok.. no biggie here, but kind of an annoying thing that I can't figure out.. Say I open a program up from my dock (for some reason this problem seems to happen more with non apple software) use it, then hit the red button to close it back down when I'm done. Now looking at my dock, there is a black triangle under the icon for the program.. So when I need the program again, I try to open it up, but it won't open! Now I have to click the program until the menu comes up, choose exit, wait for the black triangle to go away, then open it again... Obviously I don't understand the logic that apple uses.. am I doing something wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
vicariousgeorge

vicariousgeorge is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook 2.0GHz, Airport Extreme, 3G iPod Nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonag View Post
Nope, you are still suffering from Windozapherialaxalotasenseto...don't worry it passes.

The red-x isn't a close like in Win...it's more of a get this out of my sight, but leave the application active.

To actually close and quit a program, make it active, then just do apple+q. It will quit completely.

Sometimes you want something to be gone, but not quit. Like safari, let's say you are done browsing, but are downloading a large file, you click the red-x but don't quit so the file will finish downloading.

Mail, you click the red-x, and it will continue o check your mail and let you know when you have new mail without having it on the desktop.

Best,

Brian

I think he knows that.

The problem it seems that he is having is that after you close a window (not the program itself), the program won't open a new window when you click the icon again.

I've had this happen to me before. I think you can just go to view in the menu and open a new window. Either that or File > new (I think).
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

not all programs open new widows when you close the one you were working with, which is probably why he is not having the problem with apple applications because apple aplications open a window when you click on a window-less application.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Usually Cmd+N (while in that specific app) will open a new window,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how do I automatically log on when at boot up? | Phone support »