New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Powerbook metal effect

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cloudane

I assume the latest powerbook is plastic painted with a metal paint, as tapping it makes a "plastic" sound :p

It's a great machine and I like to keep it clean, but this is the thing. Especially with the heat it produces, my sweaty palms keep messing up the surface either side of the trackpad and I find myself cleaning it all the time to keep it looking good

Question is, assuming I'm right about the paint thing, is it fairly tough? Or will constant preening cause the paint to wear off and expose horrible white patches (therefore making it best only to clean it once in a while.)?

Ta!
QUOTE Thanks
anarkhy 17

i doubt it is paint over plastic.... i think it's metal plated and its tough so it shouldn't wear off. :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I don't know about the alum powerbook, but on my Ti powerbook it is painted metal.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

It'd be a pleasant suprise, but I doubt it's pure metal rather than painted. It feels too light, doesn't make the right sound and would just be too expensive to manufacture, even by Apple's impressive standards.

Perhaps common sense is the best way - only clean it once in a while, it may not look perfect in the short term but would preserve it later on.

Edit: Further research seems to suggest that other than the keyboard (painted plastic) the rest of the casing is adonized aluminium. That seems to mean pure aluminium with a special treatment on the surface.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

It's definitely unpainted metal. Mine has enough scratches to prove that conclusively

("Anodizing" is an electrochemical process that enhances the durability of aluminum by coating it with a layer aluminum oxide. It won't flake off or chip like paint does, but it will scratch.)

I've seen some of the old "Titanium" PowerBooks that had been around the block a few times...you could see where paint had worn or flaked off. After a year and a half of use, my PB has some scratches, but no chipping or flaking.

[The keyboard, though, is metal-colored plastic. If you pry one of the key caps up to the light, you can see through the letter outlines; this is how the backlighting works on models with that feature.]
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

Aluminium is quite light. From feel/touch I'm pretty sure it's real aluminium, not metal paint. It wouldn't show normal scratches if it was paint...and scratches would lead to chipping...so I guess....who cares though, really...

though, they are quite thin as well..thinner than the ibooks...or at least the last ones. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be this thin if they were painted plastic.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this possible? | The Imac G5 Is HERE... SORT OF »