New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I Bit the Bullet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smallvillefan

smallvillefan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20", 2.4ghz, 2GB/320GB

Alright everyone,

I just ordered my first iMac over the telephone and the lady gave me a $60 discount! WooHoo! I asked her about the 30-day free upgrade for Leopard and she said that was only a rumor. But, I suppose they have to say that. She offered me the discount as soon as I said "Ok, thanks for answering my questions, but I think I will wait until tomorrow to place my order." haha. It's kind of funny what a measly $60 discount will do for an order.

Ships by: Sep 12 - Sep 14
Delivers by: Sep 20 - Sep 26

I am soo excited. I think I was getting a tad obsessed over it, but now I can calm down and count down the days.

I also decided to get the APP even though it was $199CDN. I decided the $60 discount made up for the extra $75.

I'm going to run down to Future Shop today to grab 1 more gig of RAM as they have Kingston on sale for $70.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out, I had a really tough time deciding on my specs to get.
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Wow. That's great! What are the specs.?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Great news. Discounts on Macs are pretty rare. I didn't think Apple allowed them. So vendors usually include other items and give you the discount on them. For example, if you buy extra memory or some such, you will get a break there. That is pretty much what happened when I bought this machine. I upped the RAM to 2.5 GB and got a nice discount on the RAM... but the Mac itself was full price.

Is this perhaps what happened in your case?

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
jimmy99james

jimmy99james is on a distinguished road

my local Mac store actually quoted me $1 more than what I can get the system from the Apple website! the silly sales assistant even said, "Oh, and I have discounted the RAM" turned out that the RAM price was the same as the online store and APP was $1 more in the Shop than the website! hmmmm
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

You can do that with a lot of stuff(get dicounts just by bargaining over the phone).

For instance, with my cable service, my dad called them to tell them were switching to satellite, and they gave us HBO, Showtime, the On Demand channels, and ESPN HD all for 2 dollars LESS than we were paying before.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonb View Post
You can do that with a lot of stuff(get dicounts just by bargaining over the phone).

For instance, with my cable service, my dad called them to tell them were switching to satellite, and they gave us HBO, Showtime, the On Demand channels, and ESPN HD all for 2 dollars LESS than we were paying before.
Instead of getting more channels, we get a significant price drop in the cable bill. Just tell them you're considering switching to Direct TV, they'll do almost anything to keep you. This works everytime, every 6 or 12 months after their offer expires.
QUOTE Thanks
smallvillefan

My specs are: iMac 20", 2.4 ghz, 320gb hd, 1gb of RAM.

I specifically asked what the discount was for and she said it was because she wanted me to buy it today, not tomorrow. Likely for risk of me maybe never, ever getting one (which could have happened), but the $60 discount really ended up sucking me into buying it today.

I was entering in my request online at the same time as I was on the phone, so I could keep tabs on my total--and it really WAS a $60 discount. I opted AGAINST the free printer, because I'd have to pay for it first. --- btw, what do you all think about that? I already have an HP all-in-one printer I can use, except I need more ink.

That's really neat about the cable guys... I'll have to give that one a try.
QUOTE Thanks
DoubleCap

DoubleCap will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD

Definitely try the cable thing... you're wasting money as we speak! We've been doing it for years now... I feel like they know, but whatever
QUOTE Thanks
smallvillefan

hahaha. I will try to get DV-R at no extra cost! THAT'S what I really want!
QUOTE Thanks
Brandon

Brandon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvillefan View Post
hahaha. I will try to get DV-R at no extra cost! THAT'S what I really want!
Same here! Let me know how that works out! Ha!
QUOTE Thanks
Carol247

Carol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really niceCarol247 is just really nice
Mac Specs: imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0

Same here too! I've been shopping and comparing my DishNetwork to Directv. I think Directv is more expensive but they do have more HD channels and we're looking for a new TV and want to switch to HD.

Anyway, I'm off topic here. But nice to know I can haggle on the price.

Thanks for that tip!

"We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart"! - Unknown
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dot mac storage question | little confusion »