New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Coverting video files to iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DragonLady

DragonLady is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook, 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 1 Gb RAM, 80 Gb harddrive

Hello again!

I've had my brilliant little Macbook (and my first Mac) for about a month now. I'm loving every minute of particularly now that I have my photo/music/video files transferred over from my PC and have tweaked some things here and there.

I am running into one snag though. I like having one program to access for all my music and video needs. Of course on my Mac, that is iTunes. However, I'm finding some of my video files are not being recognized by iTunes such as .avi, etc.

They play in Quicktime without a problem so the files are fine. I don't own an iPod (Creative Zen fan... I just don't like the click wheel) so I don't care of they are in an iPod accepted format. I just want them to be recognized by iTunes so I can have my one-stop program. So I need to convert the file formats...

I did some searching here and on-line. Perhaps I'm just not hitting the right keywords. The two free suggestions I found were Movie2iTunes and iSquint. My question to all ye more knowledgable than I is: Will either of these programs do what I need? The info I'm finding seems to be concentrated around iPod file conversion and I'm not certain it's the same. If either will do what I need, which is the better program?

Or if I'm completely off base and there is door #3 that hopefully does not involve purchasing software? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

iSquint will convert them to the iPod format. iSquints big brother, VisualHub, will pretty much convert anything to anything. It's not free.

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, that appears to be a Windows app. I think the OP was looking for a Mac app....

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, that appears to be a Windows app. I think the OP was looking for a Mac app....
you are absolutely correct. Long week.
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

you can change to format of the videos using mpeg streamclip (search it in google). You can change the format to quicktime, itunes should recognise this format

BTW Mpeg Steamclip is free.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

To convert to iPod format, do you need to convert to H264 or MP4? I just bought a 30Gb iPod.......

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

You can do either, but each have specific requirements for playing on the iPod. See the iPod tech specs page on Apple's site for those details.

QUOTE Thanks
DragonLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlike View Post
you are absolutely correct. Long week.
lol Yes I was looking for Mac rather than Windows but thanks anyway. It has been a long week so I understand!
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLady

mpeg streamclip

Excellent! Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
DragonLady

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
iSquint will convert them to the iPod format. iSquints big brother, VisualHub, will pretty much convert anything to anything. It's not free.
Just so I'm clear... iPod format = iTunes will recognize it correct? Yes I'm entirely too used to crazy Windows quirks so I just want to make sure.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Although having one program that plays everything media (which it really doesn't, though it tries, and it's actually two programs: iTunes and Quicktime) there are times I have found when a particular bit of media will refuse to be played by that means.

This is where such free and available alternatives come in to play as VLC. I've come across media that, regardless of codec installed, or iSquint conversion attempts resists being manipulated to your wishes. In those cases VLC will play it, even if it cannot be converted. VLC is free, and available for Mac OS X.

Not the best of solutions, but when you absolutely positively have to play some video on your Mac, VLC will take care of you. If it doesn't, the video is probably corrupted.
QUOTE Thanks
jaywong87

jaywong87 is on a distinguished road

Out of all the converters I've used, only iSquint matches the quality of Videora (Windows only), and its free.

Problem is, most and all converers on mac do not automatically demux (seperate audio and video in file), so you'd have to set it up yourself. Meaning if you dont demux the file, you'd get video but no audio. Even than, its (mostly) faulty. iSquint demux automatically. And it works everytime.

I've even tried PAYING for some programs, and it doesnt work as great as iSquint.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I use visual hub. Not free. But it's an upgraded vbersion of isquint. From the same people. And it does the jobs I need it to do just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

I am personally use Popcorn/Toast. Popcorn being fairly inexpensive IMO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Swap: Instaling OS X | Macbook purchase - some suggestions please - Care - Case - Mouse »