New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Any advice on 240v to 120v conversion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RussWebb

Hello everyone,

My lady friend here has a big frown on her face. She's looking at a blank screen on her g3. We can't seem to convert the 240v to 120v power. We shipped her system from Australia to California. We're stumped as to how to successfully do this conversion without blowing up :eek: her precious system.

BTW we are hooked in with a pc monitor. Does the monitor need to be mac as well?

I'm a pc guy.... oblivious to the mac world... I have a feeling that's about to change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Depending on the model - she got the manual? There may be a voltage conversion switch. Other then that you would need a voltage booster, or an adapter that connects to the laundry dryer connection which are often 220 for obvious reasons. Remember that here in the US the AC cycle is 60 hz unlike European 50, dunno what it is DownUnder
QUOTE Thanks
RussWebb

I notice on the back of the computer there is a plug and a socket. Plug says 100-120v and socket is for 220v. So I've plugged into 120v, I get a brief power up then it shuts down ( 2-3 seconds then off she goes ). Quite frustrating!

I found the conversion switch, and it is set properly.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Here are the PDF manuals for the various Power Mac G3 models. Voltage switch information is on the page indicated.

For a Blue & Wite G3 tower Manual (PDF) See page 18

For a Beige G3 minitower Manual See page 3

For a Beige G3 desktop Manual See page 4

Couldn't find one for the (rarely seen) G3 All-in-one.

FYI, Other Apple manuals can be found here.
QUOTE Thanks
RussWebb

Thanks for your responses... The manual was helpful (nope she didn't have a manual).Yet, it just confirms that everything is set properly from our end. I am aware of the different plugs, sockets, ports etc and their functions.

I wonder why the power just shuts down....
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Take it to an Apple store, if you have one close.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Pro Mouse Donation.... | Need help buying a mac »