New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Ram memory....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

Guys, i have a question........i've heard that Macs run REALLY/extreamly well with a lot of memory ram......... i ask this because i've been a PC user all my live and just a week ago bought this pbook.. (it as the standard 256 ram stick) and it feels GOOD, but i can tell the slowness when i have more that 5 applications runing............

My PC has been working with 512 stick ram for like 2 years and just recently i've started to feel it's gotten "slow-ish"...... so you think i'll feel a better speed improvement from my mac with added memory?? (i'll be upgrading the pbook up to 768 ram......will it feel FAST??..... right now that's my plan (768 ram) cause i just spent my money on this machine and the ipod (15 gb) so maybe in 6 months o so i can get a 1gb stick but for now it's just 768......will it be ok?....FAST?.....i tend to use a lot of programs and windows altogether at the same time...so i want speed......HATE LAG!

can i get an opinion on this?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I've got 768 mb ram on my powerbook, and it's pretty rockin' You should be grand with that.

However, I plan on getting a 1 mb stick when the price comes down...cause then it'll be super awesome
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

that's what i'm waiting......a price drop on the 1 stick......but for now it's just 768 for me.....so i wanted to know i was going to notice a GREAT improvement.....

i kow that with a 256 stick and a 512 stick (768) later when i buy the 1 gb stick...i'll take out the 256 and be left with 1.5 gb memory ram! THAT'S GOINT TO BE MIND BLOWING!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I had 512 and I upped it to 1gb in mine and it was definitely worth the upgrade.

My dad and uncle have identical eMac 1.25ghz except my dad has 1gb and my uncle has 512 ram.....I can't stand working on my uncles because it is so much slower than my dads

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
I plan on getting a 1 mb stick when the price comes down
why would you want one of these
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

More memory is always a good performance boost, for computer in general.
When it lacks of memory, the system uses the Hard Disk as "virtual memory", which is way slower than RAM.
So, the more RAM you have, the less virtual memory is needed, the faster your system response will be.
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerMoney
However, I plan on getting a 1 mb stick when the price comes down...cause then it'll be super awesome
I wouldn't mind one of those LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Oh well, I think I still have some 1MB sticks, from my old Atari ST...
Want some??
QUOTE Thanks
Cloudane

Every Mac expert I've conversed with, has said "max out its memory". So yeah, I think it's a safe bet

I'm kinda skint after buying this Powerbook, so might only be a 256 upgrade (to 512) for me... I wonder if it's worth it, or better just to save up for a 512. I have a feeling I know the answer.
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Oh well, I think I still have some 1MB sticks, from my old Atari ST...
Want some??
LOL :eek:

I used to have 256mb ram and when i put my extra 512 in (768 total) it rocked the speed difference was huge i think it was worth it :cool:

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 12 inches, anyone? | Using PBook and PC »