New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

I got an ibook (and I love it!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flonejek

yeah, well I been using linux ever since I got my own pc ( Febuary 2002), I used to use windows before that, but I didn't like its philosophy. The opensource world was a 'tedious' relief, with me surfing through several distro's (and wasting some of the most important years of my life) i finally ended up using Suse. I think my favourite distro was gentoo, but it took too much time to maintain.

I guess I've always liked macs, my school has always used them, and I used to like the rainbow apples on the pretty curvy beige boxes (in the physics lab). The year we got imacs was the year I got my computer (I paid for this one by working in a hardware store), and how I wished I had waited. OS X was simply amazing, and I think I found out about linux through searching for mac substitutes for the pc. One of my friends started me off with slackware, which is a very nice distro, but I wanted to do more work, and lest configuration. I guess I went for harder distros like LFS and gentoo, until deciding to simplify, and getting suse. Games were never a problem, the only game I really like is warcraft III (can't wait till World of Warcraft!), and I managed to get it running smoothly under wine.

The final stage was this year, when I saw the WWDC, I just had to get a mac. They had already implemented so many awesome features that opensource software couldn't provide, and the new spotlight feature was awesome! (I must say its kinda like a souped up version of locate, a *nix commandline search tool that uses a file database/index, but as always apple made it better than ever). The day I saw this I made a deal with my parents to paint the house in exchange for an ibook (the labor would have cost them $4000).

I'm so glad I finally have this ibook, and the amount of software it came with was amazing, considering most of it was non-free, unlike linux. Garageband is great, but I musst say my favourite app is Xcode, this makes it easy for anyone to write software, and have a cool interface, someething which no other os can offer. I think that's the final part that made me switch, the great developer community apple has.

Jeez, now I feel daft for typing so much, ah well, hope you didn't fall asleep. :p
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Congratulations on your new iBook, and welcome to MAC-FORUMS.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Joeytpg

congrats on the purchase man.....i'm in the same boat as you are! hehehe.....aren't Macs great!! hehehehe.......now i understand the happiness a mac user feels ......ahhh damn....waited too long for this...but i'm glad i did it with OS X ....cuz i don't really like os 9 hehee........

and by the way....Powerbooks RULE! YEAH baby!!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Yay for you and your iBook. That was my first Mac also

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Matt

Congrats!!!!!! Do you still have a PC to fall back on or did you risk the lot???
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

thanks all, this sure is a great community
QUOTE Thanks
flonejek

oh yeah, I gave my pc to my sister, so I guess I still have it but I can't really use it..., its not worth it anyway, if you're gonna get a mac don't worry about risking a pc, just burn all your stuff to cd/dvd first (I borrowed a maxtor250g form mums work to help with the transfer).
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Congratz on your iBook. My switch to Mac has been all joy. This is like the best Linux with the best GUI and a proper CLI too!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A view newbie ?'s that I can't shake... | CD Drive ?'s »