Specs:
    Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
    Bootcamp Instilation in parallels
    i hav just successfully installed windows xp in bootcamp. i have now just installed parallels and selected to load my bootcamp instilation of windows xp through parallels.

I have a proble, when i load up XP it says that dramatic hardware changes have taken place and that i need to re-activate windows.

Is there any way round this? if i do activate it with parallels, will this mean that when i load back in to xp with bootcamp will that then ask me to change my serial code again?

Specs:
    Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
    This has been asked before. Parallels and BootCamp present very different hardware profiles to Windows. BootCamp presents your Mac's hardware, whereas Parallels presents it's virtual machine hardware and custom BIOS. I don't really know why Parallels offers the option to boot with a BootCamp partition for exactly this reason, unless there's some way around it I'm not aware of. If there is, I doubt it would be a legal one.
    [URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
    I judge you when you use poor grammar.

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by knightlie View Post
    This has been asked before. Parallels and BootCamp present very different hardware profiles to Windows. BootCamp presents your Mac's hardware, whereas Parallels presents it's virtual machine hardware and custom BIOS. I don't really know why Parallels offers the option to boot with a BootCamp partition for exactly this reason, unless there's some way around it I'm not aware of. If there is, I doubt it would be a legal one.
    I haven't tried it, but I'd imagine you could setup two hardware profiles - one for Parallels and one for Boot Camp. There is some flexibility in product activation, but you might have to reactivate on at least one occasion.

I would check out on Parallels support forums and see if there's a workaround - threads like this should get you started.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    so i guess its best just to have bootcamp separate and install another copy of windows within parallels?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
    so i guess its best just to have bootcamp separate and install another copy of windows within parallels?
    It depends on your needs. It can be made to work, but frankly, if you're not playing a lot of games in Windows, just installing it through Parallels gives you a great deal more flexibility. As it stands, Parallels does provide some support for older DX8 and some DX9 games, so even that advantage is beginning to erode.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

Specs:
    i wont be playing any games on it at all i dont think, i just want windows to run some applications that i may need for uni.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywuk View Post
    i wont be playing any games on it at all i dont think, i just want windows to run some applications that i may need for uni.
    I'd say just do a regular install with Parallels, creating a hard disk file. The nice thing about doing it that way is that you won't have to worry about eating up a static chunk of your disk. When Parallels needs more space for XP, Vista... or whatever, it can then just dynamically resize the hard disk file. The other advantage is that Parallels can "pause" the virtual machine easily when you shut it down. If you do this with a Boot Camp partition, it requires that the Boot Camp install be placed into Hibernate mode. This can take a great deal of time to recover from.

Thread Information