New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

newbie and huge problems with iweb after install ilife08

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmacuser12

newmacuser12 is on a distinguished road

Hi is there anyone who can help me? since installing ilife 08 on my 6 months old Imac computer, iweb refuses to work, as it requeires an online update, which never works.

i have heard that many people face problems with it but no solution. it seems something to do with the old iweb files on the website itself.

so heres my question, can i without openming iweb delete my whole website on my computer and on the server and then try again see if iweb will work? if it does i will then start my site from scratch.

pls any help appreciated.

Marco
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

i guess i am the only one in the whole wide world with this problem then?
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

great!
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

If you go into yourusername -> library and find the plist files there for iWeb and move them to the desktop.

If this works iWeb will start but your preferences in iWeb wont be saved.

If your alright with this you can then delete the .plist files from the desktop.

The .plist files are ... as far as I can see just preference files where all the user preferences are stored for a particular user.

let me know if that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

Heres a link for more info on those .plist files
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...51116075622629
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

Hi Irock, thanks for your tip off, it was a bit hard to find and i wasnt able to find a iweb file, but did it with the ilife08 .plst file, but to no avail.

iweb starts, asks to be updated, it goes onto the net, and shuts down unexpectedly in a few seconds.
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

hold on i did find the correct iweb.plst file in the end and did what you said, but still its the same!

im really upset with this ilife 08, its putting more trouble then enjoyment on my computer.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

If you dont mind loosing all of your preferences delete all the .plist files (for everything) and then restart your computer.

Its hard to pin it down to one application conflicting with it thats why its easier to just delete all of the .plist files.

Another thing you could do first just to check that this works is to create another account with ADMIN rights. Go into that account and see if your iLife applications work or is the same thing happening. If so, delete all the .plist files in there and see does this solve the problem.

If it does then you know that this will solve the problem on your account.

I would advise you play about with another account first. If you do use an alternative account then you may be able to pin point the .plist file / application that is conflicting
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

hi irock i dont fully understand what yur saying, however i just logged into my wifes and my sons account and there iweb works well, they both didnt have a website yet.
QUOTE Thanks
newmacuser12

in te end, didnt have any thing to do with plists, just had dto delete the domain name file on me computer, then start all new again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dock | Canadian switcher :) »