New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New macbook owner with a question or two

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morty192

morty192 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz White

Hello I ordered my new macbook today and it should be here on the 17th of this month. My first question is, is there a version of windows live messenger for mac's that allows me to use the i-sight and my second is will i be able to use my current Microsoft office without installing windows? i.e. will it run on mac? I don't think so but i gotta make sure.

Finally with a 13.3" macboook is the apple remote useful? BTW i usually spend most of the ime listening to music playin games and browsing the internet.

O 1 last question that i just remebered guys in the States probably wont be able to help me out but hopefully someone will know. I am currently playing football manager 2007 on the pc will I be able to bring my current save game acroos and play it? If not is there a converter that i can download for these save games?

Thank-you
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

aMSN will allow you to use the isight with an msn account in OS X.

i personally have never used the remote with my macbook. i guess if you used it as a jukebox occasionally, it might be useful.

can't answer the last one.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitching101

Macswitching101 is on a distinguished road

if you get MS office for mac
student edition comes with msn
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

But the microsoft messenger does not support iSight.

And as for using a remote with the laptop, its pretty much useless unless you are giving a Keynote presentation and maybe putting it to sleep.

One more thing. Before you jump into buying MS Office for Mac, try out Apple iWork. It costs just $80 and is much better than MS Office, at least in my opinion...
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
And as for using a remote with the laptop, its pretty much useless unless you are giving a Keynote presentation and maybe putting it to sleep.
definitely not true for anyone who watches movies on their computer. I hook my MB up to my TV, and the remote is a huge convenience.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

^^ Well like you said, you are hooking up the MB to a TV which is a different scenario altogether.
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

So can this aMSN be used in place of the "official" mac MSN? Are there any real drawbacks to using it? Does it do the same stuff?
QUOTE Thanks
shahvikram123

shahvikram123 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook: 2GHZ Intel C2D, 2 Gig Ram, 80 GB HD. Mac Mini: Intel C2D 2GHZ, 2 gig ram, 120gb HD

amsn is ok for webcam, but it has a pretty lame interface and ain't got so many features. If you want an overall powerful IM client then choose adium but it has no webcam support. I've heard they'll be putting in webcam support in the near future
QUOTE Thanks
aaronk_000

aaronk_000 is on a distinguished road

So why doesn't the offical version of Mac MSN have webcam support? I mean, you would think it would be standard already considering its been supported on PC's for how many years now.
QUOTE Thanks
jasonmac

jasonmac is on a distinguished road

I hardly ever use my remote unless I'm adjusting the volume on my macbook.

Enjoy your new macbook!!!

Jason
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

I use the remote all the time on my macbook pro becuase if i am browsing the web or something its much easier just to hit next on the remote then switching to itunes to change the song. Also i use it for the volume aswell as the keyboard and when i connect it to my tv i use it i think its very helpfull but it really depends how u use it.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitching101

ummm sorry gobimama but like i said i wouldn't suggest iworks because he wants to use msn like he said.... so with that in mind yeah his options is like i suggested unless he installs boot camp.....which i have never used
ummm also i hate to put down iworks 08 but pages isn't QUITE up to the MS word standard that most people have come used to... its good for fancying up stuff but its not quite up to snuff if I can say that for things like what a normal student might use it for. Numbers is neat but again excel is the way to go if your doing the real crunching on numbers like i do for school and stuff
although ill give iworks ONE THING and one thing only
it does have keynote which is lightyears away and ahead of power point in my opinion ....sorry for the rant but im sick of people who are like I WANNA GO ALL MAC and dont actually think about what they are actually using it for.... if you are a publisher or something i dont know and you need to have everything fancy then go for iworks08 if your a simple student and just need an essay done by monday.... go for MS OFFICE...someday in the future apple ...will probably be the way to go but not just quite yet...sure they are cheaper but thats cause they need to be competitve
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Well I find iWork more than adequate for what I do. And there's nothing wrong with morty192 trying it out. He might not need to do all that number crunching that you do, and find it more than satisfactory. Have you given iWork an extensive run through? Cause I have in fact set books and so many newsletter with Pages, that I would never attempt with Word. Its got most of the features that we use and it is so simple to use.

And if he wants MSN messenger, he can download it for free, it doesn't only come with Office. Though it doesn't even come with webcam support...

And as for keynote, its not ONE THING. It is 33% of what iWork is...
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitching101

i suppose sorry ...i j ust ffind alot of ppl try to get rid of MS so easily
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macswitching101 View Post
ummm also i hate to put down iworks 08 but pages isn't QUITE up to the MS word standard that most people have come used to
*cough* the MS word standard?! surely you jest.
Goobimama, what you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Cause I have in fact set books and so many newsletter with Pages, that I would never attempt with Word. Its got most of the features that we use and it is so simple to use.
Oh, yes. Try to layout a book with Word. Hint: you can't. That's why you have MS Publisher. What most students use MS Word for is double-spaced text. Yay, I'm glad Word is the gold standard in that. Try anything with advanced layout and you see Word is an overpriced shambles of a word processor.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recent switcher - a question and massive thanks | Help »