New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

filevault?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Icarus

so I'm playing with my system settings and I find this do-hicky called "filevault" and I say to myself, 'self, this looks interesting, give it a shot.' so then my powerbook says it's encrypting all of my files and this would take two hours. Two hours later, none of my files 'seem' encrypted and I was wondering if somebody could tell me exactly the point of turning on filevault. Thanks fellas!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Basically Filevault protects your files from others, who don't know your password, if they were to get ahold of your laptop. To you they do look unencrypted because Panther does it on the fly, but to someone not logged in as you, they would be encrypted.

Here's more information on FileVault

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

the next thing I did was to automatically log in as myself - did I just waste two hours?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

No, you just might want to turn off auto log-in since that defeats the purpose

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

oh. I'll probably un-auto-log-in when I get to college...for now i'm still living at home, so security from my mom isn't a real big issue. (she couldn't turn this on and find my files anyhoo...so yeah)
QUOTE Thanks
sKaD

sKaD is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
oh. I'll probably un-auto-log-in when I get to college...for now i'm still living at home, so security from my mom isn't a real big issue. (she couldn't turn this on and find my files anyhoo...so yeah)
what about the pr0n on the desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

how did you know about that?! Hehe...no, seriously. She's happy with her dell and she doesn't know how to use a mac in the slightest. (even though it was pretty easy for me to learn quickly...
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Icarus: Just a quick warning. Filevault has the capability to serious 'f up your computer. If you start noticing system settings not taking effect, or weird things changing on each boot, it's because of Filevault. For instance, now that it's turned on, go and change a setting like turn bluetooth on or off or whatever...and then reboot. Most likely, that setting will not stay anymore.

Filevault is a broken feature that I recommend all Mac users stay far far away from. Apple feels the same way, and most Apple employees refuse to use it. Luckily, they're revamping it in Tiger.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

i agree Osiris22x. plus if you lose ur password ur screwed.
QUOTE Thanks
Icarus

I think I'm starting to feel the same way about the vault. I restarted, it told me that I had too much stuff in my home directory do-hicky, and when I restart my bookmarks are gone, my auto-fill doesn't work, I need to reconfigure mail and the night before I filled up my calander...that's also gone. Pain the *****! So I'm turning that shiznit off now. Thanks for the suggestion!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Drive ?'s | Apple Pro Mouse Donation.... »