New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Activate window and do action

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jakenoble

jakenoble is on a distinguished road

Hi

I didn't really know how to put this question, hence the daft title.

Here goes, I have the new 24inch iMac, nice big screen, which means lots of different windows and therefore lots of swapping and switching between windows.

Once of the most annoying things is, for example being iTunes which is active, and having an inactive Safari window behind it, I then click a link in the Safari window and nothing happens, it just activates the window, so i have to click again to go to the link.

Can this be changed?

Thanks

Jake
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Try hitting the F9 Key. Expose. All windows become smaller and visible and you click what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

Thats a good idea.

But its not as neat as it would be if I could just activate and do an action on the screen in one click. Rather than clicking Expose, then the screen I want to use then the action I want to do.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i usually set up a hot corner for that. go to system preferences>desktop and screen saver>screensaver there is a button in the lower left corner that says hot corners. check it out

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, none that I am aware of - you will have to do 'something' to activate a different window before you can use it.

Most apps use a variety of shortcut keys. These shortcuts have different functions depending on what application is active. Just imagine if the shortcut keys worked on every open app rather than only the active one.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

OH well, if it can't be done then it can't be done.

Thanks anyway
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

i usually just doubleclick in such a situation, or i use one hand to alttab (apple-tab now) and the other to click.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Justifying text in Pages and removing the Hyphens | Bootcamp »