New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Can anyone suggest me any GPS programs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NakedAngel

NakedAngel is on a distinguished road

When i was using XP it was Microsoft street and tips 2007 or sth like that. So is there any GPS programs for Mac? Hope they're not like 1000 bucks to buy lol..

Thanks for your help ^^
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Unfortunately, that's one of the things that kind of is a tad lacking in the MacOS X world. That and my GPS is an old one that uses a serial port to communicate with the computer, something you won't find on any modern Mac. USB -> RS232 port converters don't seem to work either.

I still use an old PC with XP to run the Garmin Mapsource (and Lowrance MapCreate for my aviation unit) and load waypoints, routes, etc. to and from the receiver.

However, I have found that Google Maps works well enough as far as locating where the coordinates are with any given location, which I then manually enter into the receiver to set the waypoint. Having it be a picture of the location is much better than just a standard Map. I do miss the ability to put in an address in DeLorme street atlas and have it reliably come up with the coordinates, but Google Maps seems to work just fine.

Someday I'll update to a newer GPS that has USB communication (or even bluetooth, which would be better) but the unit works just fine for now so why blow the expense?
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

could you not just run parrallels and then run GPS software in that?

Would this work ok or would it just be a pain?
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

maps.google.com
or
maps.google.co.uk

would that not work. you would have to be online tho
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

http://www.routebuddy.com/routebuddy/index.html

Route Buddy looks fun

Here's a link to an article on GPS and Mac
http://www.macworld.com/2007/08/secr...emac/index.php
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes, RouteBuddy was just updated and has added support for more devices. For the full list.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedAngel View Post
When i was using XP it was Microsoft street and tips 2007 or sth like that. So is there any GPS programs for Mac? Hope they're not like 1000 bucks to buy lol..

Thanks for your help ^^
Are you looking for software to update your GPS or software that can turn your Macbook into a GPS?
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Yes, RouteBuddy was just updated and has added support for more devices. For the full list.
Thanks MHC...still no Magellan support though
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

im looking for something like autoroute for mac.

any ideas on that?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Leopard Macbook | Something like paint in Mac ? »