New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Make me switch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

epall

After a few hours of though, I have concluded that Mac OS X is the future for the 5-10 year time frame. Therefore, I should probably switch. I currently run Gentoo Linux and I'm very confortable with Ion (uber-nerd window management) and dropping to command line all the time.

What I need is a fairly snappy box to do Java development, OSS hacking, browsing (with a mozilla-based browser), email reading (although Gmail is slowly replacing that...), website writing, and a server test bed. I don't think I can really get all of that with OS X (esp. the tomcat server testbed) but that's okay.

I'm going to buy a new laptop for high school within the next few months. The needs here are good wireless connectivity (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.), browsing, desktop publishing (light weight), Java play environment (just for messing around), and good looks.

Oh, and did I mention that I want an interface that's really powerful for a power user and that I don't think windows overlapping with other windows is useful?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Well, you might to have to get used to overlapping windows.

There's no reason why you can't do any of what you mentioned on OS X, with the exception of the tiled windows approach. ( Exposť might help there. It's really great at managing window clutter.)

Other than the window manager, OS X is just a slightly odd BSD. Java 2 is already installed; so Tomcat and OS X get along just fine. Definitely check out Apple's developer documentation. (Apple even has a Tomcat setup tutorial which you probably won't need, but might find reassuring.)
QUOTE Thanks
epall

hmm, creative aproach to window management. It's not really windows that I have a problem with, it's a lack of a good way to manage them. Exposť sure isn't ion, but it may actually be better! Another question, what about X11? I heard there was some kind of X Windows support on OS X. Is this true? Is this useful?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

X11 is supported, though I have not tried anything with it myself
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac for college | Big favor? »