New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

This might be a dumb question....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

januhhh

januhhh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano

Sometimes I leave my Macbook on when I leave the house and I set it to where when it is plugged into the wall the HDD and the computer don't turn off after a certain amount of time, but I am still coming home to my computer being in sleep mode and I am kicked off Adium. Am I missing something here? How do I keep my computer from going into sleep mode and kicking me off when I decide to leave it on?

Sorry if this is dumb
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

apple manu (or dock) > system preferences > energy saver.

set your time to sleep, and for your display to turn off.

if you want to stay connected, i'd suggest setting the display for a short time to save your screen, say 10-15 min, and then setting your sleep for a longer time.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
januhhh

januhhh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano

yeah i have the display set for 10 min and then sleep is put on "never" when its using the adapter. but it still turns off. is there something else i am missing?
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Are you sure that you're using the adapter? It might be on a loose plug and you might have been running on battery when you left.

Sorry if that seemed dumb. Maybe someone with more experience would jump in.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
fireshaper

fireshaper is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" MacBook

You can also try using the app Caffeine (http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/). It adds a little icon to the menu bar so you can turn off sleep or keep it on, depending on the status icon. If the icon has an X over it then it won't sleep at all, if it doesn't then it follows the normal energy options.

Sorry for the non-VesionTrack.com link, it seems to be down, but it is also there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Irfanview comparable app for OS X | New to iMac »