New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Buy now or wait for Leopard?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gonestarfishing

Gonestarfishing is on a distinguished road

Hi all! My 3 year old IBM is slowly starting to self destruct. It started a few months ago with the power plug going wonky, now the cd burner won't burn cds, and to top it all off one of the metal hinges cracked completely in half! The thing has never been dropped or treated roughly, but I do carry it to school with me in a padded backpack (oh the horrors).

I know that Leopard is coming out sometime in October, and I was hoping to be able to make it until then with my gimpy IBM but honestly I'm really itching for a new laptop and I don't know if I can wait that long. Would it be worth it to limp my dying PC until October or would it be worth it to buy a macbook now and buy Leopard when it comes out? Does anyone anticipate Mac releasing newer versions of macbook or macbook pro when Leopard is released?

Are there any advantages to buying a macbook later on with Leopard already loaded onto it versus buying one now and loading it later (besides extra money spent to buy Leopard)?

The bottom line is that I'm wondering if I buy now, is something newer going to be released in a few months? Sorry if this is a bit long winded/convoluted but it's been a loooooong week at work
QUOTE Thanks
nicholast7

nicholast7 is on a distinguished road

Hi there.

I am actually in a quite similar situation with you, as I was (& am still ) researching on Macs for the past couple of weeks now. Was doing plenty of research on Macbook & all the other programs to make sure I know the Mac equivalent of Windows programs that I was used to.

I will be getting my first Mac (MB) in a weeks time!! will make sure I come out of the Apple store with one!.

Anyway, I'm no pro or a smart-*** & this isn't exactly an advice, but it's just that (from advices I have received) you wouldn't lose anything by getting a Mac now. You have plenty of time to get use to the Mac with Tiger, & maybe could even wait a couple more weeks/ months even after the release date of Leopard. Maybe by then, this forum would already be filled with thousands of stories/ problems/ advices on Leopard. all these can only be a gain.

Another advice I got was that if you keep waiting for something new or better to come out, you'll eventually end up with nothing. =). I am taking those advice anyway & ready to splash some money.

Hope this helps anyway. =D
QUOTE Thanks
Gonestarfishing

Gonestarfishing is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Your advice makes complete sense. I didn't even think of how learning how to Mac-it on a brand spankin new OS might be a bit tricky - what with everyone else learning at the same time too. It makes sense to start on Tiger and have the advantage of a few years worth of tutorials, FAQ's, etc. at my disposal.

That puts a couple more tics in the "buy one now, i'm impatient" column!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quite honestly? I'd buy now.

Tiger is already a great OS, and would you really want to be a public beta tester for Leopard? Give it 3 - 6 months after it's released and then upgrade, it'll only be $129.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

Buy it now!

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Well this has never been discussed before.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
164 hits for that! Wow! That's a lot. Yeah I get your point. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jdub

jdub is on a distinguished road

does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

It won't. As ilife is only bundled with new macs. It won't come with the OS if you purchased it seperately.
QUOTE Thanks
brentsax

brentsax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
does anyone know if the new ilife suite will be included with leopard if you are upgrading from tiger?
iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

-B
QUOTE Thanks
rixx03

rixx03 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsax View Post
iLife '08 will more than likely NOT be included w/ Leopard. iLife is a totally separate suite of software that Apple chooses to include on new Macs that it sells. It does not "come with" the OS.

-B
Aww geez. Whatta waste. They should bundle it with the OS, or at least have a promo when you buy Leopard.. like having iLife '08 by 50% off.

That'll be a customer attraction.

|| i BOUGHT MY MACBOOK ON MARCH 24, 2007 ||
|| WHiTE MACBOOK 2GHZ iNTEL CORE 2 DUO 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB HD ||
|| iPOD ViDEO 80GB WHiTE || iPHONE 8GB ||
QUOTE Thanks
biffyiffy

biffyiffy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post

This seems to be a common misconception. Apple has promoted the concept "every new mac comes with iLife" which consumers translate that iLife is actually a part of the OS. I know, I was one of those.

Im waiting to upgrade to Leopard but Id ask the question somewhere else "why spend $79 on the new iLife when Leopard will be out in October (or so we think)" And of course the answer I got was iLife is a stand alone group of apps, its not integrated into the OS.
QUOTE Thanks
jdub

jdub is on a distinguished road

is there any chance of the uk getting the upgrade to ilife 08 for $9.99 if you recently purchased a mac. im after a macbook pro but they still have the 06 suite. no doubt us guys in the uk will have to pay £9.99, double the price the usa will
QUOTE Thanks
WhiteNoiseMaker

WhiteNoiseMaker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook 2.0GHz CD | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD | SuperDrive | iPod 3G 20GB

I'm waiting until October before buying a new iMac. Don't want the extra expense of having to buy the Leopard upgrade and iLife 08 for it. Plus if there's any production problems with the new iMac, hopefully by October they'll have fixed them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Love my new iMac | Turn Off Start Up Sound... »