New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

First Steps...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joeytpg

ok guys so the moment is here!...i'll be flying to Florida this Friday, and i'll be purchasing my pbook over there, so since i'm not a Mac expert AT ALL, so i have a couple of things i would like to ask:

1) i want to know what should i do at the store before buying it, what problems should i look for?, which flaws should i search for (externally, and internally - OS-wise)

2) on the other hand, after buying, i'll try to hook it up at the hotel, so i can use it for a few days before flying back home, so that way i can have more time to search for flaws and stuff....................since i'll be doing that, WHAT should i do after buying, to get the pbook to fully work?....what should i install, or update?....or WHAT?.....i don't know WHAT to do.....so please i need guidance........i don't really want to take my pbook home without using it a few days and making sure everything works perfectly......couse it would really hurt to get back home and realize i need to take it back for repair or maybe Replacement (meaning: sent it through UPS, which means spending MORE money unnecessarily)

thanks for the help!

so please...guidance needed!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

In the Apple store here (North Miami Aventura mall) they open and try units at the genius bar before the buyer leaves. Then I guess you wanna decide if you wanna get Mac janitor or have a copy of the terminal commands that handle daily etc Mac maintaining. If you like I will post completely these
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

When you get the Powerbook, plug in the charger and charge till its full (99%). The let the battery drain until it goes on standy-by by itself. Re-charge it fully. Does good to ur battery. Also try to install all available updates to ur System if u have access to the net.
Congrats on the purchase
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Yeah, when you get a chance, condition the battery as Strider describes.

As for flaws, just look at it. make sure the screen is uniformally bright, not too many "dead" pixels, the display hinges work smoothly, the latch opens and closes, etc.

Apple also includes a Hardware Test CD in the box, which runs a suite of automated tests. If you're really concerned, you might want to run that while you're there, just to be safe. (The store staff can probably help you with this.)

While you're in the store, take advantage of the AirPort network to download any software or security updates that may not be included from the factory. To do this, select the "Software Update" command from the Apple menu. Again, the store staff can probably help you if you ask.

Afterwards, download and run MacJanitor as whiteshark describes.
QUOTE Thanks
manhattanmonkey

MacJanitor is a safe/legal download from the site mentioned in technologists post?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
In the Apple store here (North Miami Aventura mall) they open and try units at the genius bar before the buyer leaves. Then I guess you wanna decide if you wanna get Mac janitor or have a copy of the terminal commands that handle daily etc Mac maintaining. If you like I will post completely these
No. Way.
They don't test PowerBooks hear. I got a freaking dead pixel on mine when I got mine.

B*st*rds.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Big favor? | Apple's Care Plan? »