New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

school mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacHater123

MacHater123 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone! I'm brand-new here, but i have a question. See, one of my family members went and bought me a mac iBook from another school, because after 2-years, they sell those ones for new ones, but anyhow, I want to completely get rid of everything on my hard-drive. But theres a teensie problem. The school has a special thing put on the hard-drive where nothing can be downloaded. also, they did not give me the disk so I could restart it, and they also set a password on the computer so I cant make changes to anything! Please write back if you think you know of anyway to restart my hard-drive. bye!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

I am guessing by restart your hard drive you mean to re-install OS X. I am not sure what would be the easy way to do so without obtaining the discs and the passwords you mentioned above.

But I'd thing a good start would be to contact the School's IT Department (the one that the Mac was purchase from) and they will probably be able to help ya.

Good Luck and welcome to the Forums.

MMM
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Yeah, it'll be great to see MacHater123 around for years to come, contributing to this forum in valuable ways.
Welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
ric0h

ric0h can only hope to improve

your only chance is to reformat but i dunno how with no disc.
QUOTE Thanks
januhhh

januhhh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2gb Memory, 80gb HDD, Leopard / Pink iPod Nano

MacHater is a harsh name dont you think? considering you are on a mac forum...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like you'll definitely need to buy a new copy of OSX. wether or not you'll be able to put it on that disk is another story. Mina has a great idea though about contacting the school.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
MacHater123

MacHater123 is on a distinguished road

im only on here cuz i need to now how to delete my whole hard-drive. My parents have a microsoft, and we all have to share the internet through the same airport. Now, that wouldnt be a problem, except for the fact that everybody in the neighbor hood uses our internet service. We tryed to lock the linksys, but by doing that, we wouldnt have internet for my computer so my father is going to buy a new operating system for the computer, but first i need to delete the hard-drive, so it can work witht that other operating system. I've tried everything. The school also locked up the applications folder, so i cant store a deleting software into the computer. but thanks anyhow people. i will deffinatley try your suggestion mina. thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
dadsgravy

dadsgravy has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4

Oh, I see. Your just here to use us like were some nerdish w*ore. Then maybe you'll leave a few rep points on the night stand on the way out. Well, your just lucky most of us like it like that!

You need the original os disks. You cam buy them by calling apple tech support. They cost about $40. Your computer is pretty much junk with out them. Those discs contain invaluable tools to help maintain your computer if you run into problems.
QUOTE Thanks
ric0h

ric0h can only hope to improve

sharing internet its the best thing you can do to humanity and the community.
QUOTE Thanks
teacher

teacher is on a distinguished road

There is absolutely no reason to not have internet with your computer just because you change the linksys to include some encryption or or hidden SSID or other ways to lock down your router.

If the school sold the computer, then they need to provide the password to unlock it and to remove the program. They should also provide a copy o the OS.

Julia
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher View Post
There is absolutely no reason to not have internet with your computer just because you change the linksys to include some encryption or or hidden SSID or other ways to lock down your router.

If the school sold the computer, then they need to provide the password to unlock it and to remove the program. They should also provide a copy o the OS.
They should really have wiped the hard drive and started again... I wonder what info is still on there? I'd never give a computer away without completely wiping the hard drive first.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« In a Microsoft keyboard where is the apple command? | Downloaded Files Location »