New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

OSX Maintenance?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

section31

I'm a 2 month old Mac user and wanted to know what kinds of maintenance can be done to keep things running well on my PB rev3 (1.33Mhz, 1.25Gb RAM). Is there an equivalent to defragmenting, etc.?

I've recently noticed some odd things (i.e.-some video corruption- only once). Things just dont "seem" to be running as quickly. Maybe it's just my perception because I've been using my gaming PC a little bit more this summer. I pretty much do everything else on my PB these days however I'm still learning about the system and want to know what I can do to keep things nice and crisp.

Any help on OSX maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions Also make sure you run cron tasks or use Mac Janitor, Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of daily) and monthly. again with all apps closed.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

I use an application called OnyX that makes OS X maintenance extremely simple and easy. You can take care of all your maintenance needs with a few clicks, and it also allows you to easily customize certain settings and items within OS X. The best part is - it's free.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

also, the original MacJanitor
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hype.it
also, the original MacJanitor
Yeah. I used to use MacJanitor, and it's a great application. Very easy to use, but now I've come to prefer the additional features of OnyX (although it's a bit more complex as well).

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

hey.. if it suit you better, then use it.

Personally, I seldom repair my permissions and crons, haven't any major problems apart from one incident. Normally i just leave everything switch ON! I know it shortens the life of the TFT but by then, i'd would of upgraded and sold the current machine off cheap!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
I know it shortens the life of the TFT but by then, i'd would of upgraded and sold the current machine off cheap!
If you're talking about the 20" Cinema listed in your profile, that's an expensive proposition. :eek:

QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

it's not expensive.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
it's not expensive.
I think many people would consider $1300 retail (the equivalent of a new iBook, or two refurbished eMac's ) an expensive item, but of course, everything's relative.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i switched...so now what... | Jaguar, printing to a windows machine »