New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Switching PC -> Mac; shortcuts = efficiency benefits!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

verbatim210

verbatim210 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

One of the greatest hurdles switching to Mac is: the ability to maximize the efficiency of your new computer. For a new switcher such as myself which is use to the windows shortcuts, this can be quite challenging.

Example 1:
I was in a lecture today and I saw one of the students using a Mac. He was able to switch applications easily using the F9/F10 function, and WITHOUT moving his hand!

I know this may seem like a really fussy question but im truely lazy and every second/millimetre counts. Is there a way to activate the F9/F10 function without pressing those keys that are so far away? (if there is a faster way i want to know about it lol)

*I've read the shortcut keys thread and I don't think these sorts of shortcuts are listed on there?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

I have the Mighty Mouse side buttons set to do the F9/F10 thing (which is called Expose, btw)
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

u can do that with activating the active corners from the preferences menu.
Go to expose and u'll find out what im talking about.

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
verbatim210

Thanks for that tip cheez, helped a lot. I changed the Expose keys into fn, ctrl and option which is great because it's easy to reach. The only problem is it disables my other shortcuts like: (fn up/down to scroll the window)

Maybe i'll try using the left/right "shift" keys instead, I don't think that'll conflict with anything.

Since i'll be using my MacBook on the go, I don't have the luxury of using a mouse. Another newbie question, how do you "right-click" without the mouse?

I know it's possible because I plugged in my USB mouse and tried it lol.
QUOTE Thanks
verbatim210

ok the only problem with using the shift key for expose is that i find it hard to use caps and symbols that require the shift key.

sorry about this but i'm a fresh newb and i have nowhere else to go with all of my questions

another thing is this, is there any shortcut keys for maximizing the window aka zoom
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 3.png (36.6 KB, 21 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

to right click without a mouse...just two finger tap. i am pretty sure thats how it works.just take both fingers and tap em on the pad. macs have multi touch in their touch pads i'm pretty sure.

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I personally think that hot corners are the awesomest way to invoke Exposé, and Exposé is one of the most useful features of the UI on MacOS. I am constantly trying to invoke it when I'm on non-Mac machines at work.

Also, I have a mighty mouse, and Exposé All Windows is but a (slightly hard, but my right hand has gotten use to it) squeeze away.

My favorite key short cuts - Command-Q and Command-H to quit/hide things. Like when I need to go into Activity Monitor to kill off that process that makes iChat no longer make sounds. Invoke, find process, quit process, Command-Q to make it go away. Viewing a 'questionable' graphic in Preview? Command-H is like a "boss key".
QUOTE Thanks
verbatim210

It's not as easy on a touchpad though.

It takes more effort cornering the cursor, than reaching for the F9/F10 key
QUOTE Thanks
teacher

teacher is on a distinguished road

I was never very good at the two finger tap to work on my touch pad. However, Apple click gives me open in a new tab and Ctrl click gives me a right click. Those work beautifully for me.

Julia
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
to right click without a mouse...just two finger tap. i am pretty sure thats how it works.just take both fingers and tap em on the pad. macs have multi touch in their touch pads i'm pretty sure.
this needs to be enabled in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse. It's disabled by default.
QUOTE Thanks
meatus

meatus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen

See below. Sorry my work PC had a brain fart and my post got posted twice haha.
QUOTE Thanks
meatus

meatus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post

There is no tap or two finger tap function on the Mac's (at least the new ones) touch pad. To right click you have to ctrl + click.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim210 View Post
Thanks for that tip cheez, helped a lot. I changed the Expose keys into fn, ctrl and option which is great because it's easy to reach. The only problem is it disables my other shortcuts like: (fn up/down to scroll the window)
Although there is no two finger tap function on the touch pad you can use two fingers to scroll the window up and down or side to side or diagonal on the touch pad. Just slide two fingers anywhere on the touch pad. It is a nice feature I use quite often even when I do have my mouse attached to my laptop. Also Verbatim this will free up those fn keys to make them your expose shortcuts.

Correction I guess there is the tap function available. I stand corrected. I personally was excited there wasn't that tap function when I got my MBP. I hated the touch pad on windows laptops. I guess I wasn't as coordinated enough to use it. Everytime I went to move the mouse I was tapping the mouse. Frustrations!!!
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

Two finger tap and two finger click are two things I couldn't live without it.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« O Happy Day | Mac Classic (OS9) on 10.4.10? »