New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Backup entire HD or just documents and media to external HD?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ggreer58

ggreer58 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12 in PowerBook 1.5ghz

I recently purchased an external HD and it came with the BounceBack software for backups.

What are the advantages of backing up my entire HD to the external drive as compared to just important documents and media files? If for instance I lost my computer, and had my entire HD backed up on it, could I connect the external to a new computer and load everything onto it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

edit: canceled post since I am in no way familiar with your 12" Powerbook capabilities.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

backing up the entire hd means you can restore the whole hdd if needs be. i just backup my documents

but yes you could yes load everything onto a new computer.
QUOTE Thanks
benjgr

benjgr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 OS 10.4.11

Hello

My question is also about Bounceback, and is rather similar to ggreer58's.

I have just bought an external hard disk and have started backing up my whole hard disk to it using Bounceback. It all works very well, and I am very satisfied. But I suddenly had a thought. If my laptop is stolen, will I be able to access all my files from another computer?

The reason I ask is that I notice that when I am logged in as one user, I can't access files for another user on the external hard disk. So won't that mean that, if I plug the hard disk into another computer, I wouldn't be able to access anything, which would rather defeat the point? Or will I be able somehow to log in from there? (I have ordinary Bounceback, not the Professional version, which apparently means I can't reboot from the external hard disk).

Any advice gratefully received!

Ben
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing Up files | to buy MacBook Pro or wait? »