New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

onlyhuman

onlyhuman is on a distinguished road

I'm using an ethernet modem on BT broadband, and my 07 iMac cant find the server. All the information I've given it is correct, and works on all other computers connected to the internet in this house.

Anything I may have missed, or tips on how to set it up?

I'm a Mac n00b, but I at least have a reasonable idea what I'm doing with Windows, and I still haven't been able to sort it. And I'm out of ideas.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Fairly

Fairly has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Are you sure you're trying to connect that way? Have you configured things from your computer to the server?
QUOTE Thanks
onlyhuman

onlyhuman is on a distinguished road

How do you mean?

It knows the ethernet modem is there, its trying to use it to connect, and the password and account name are the same as on the other computers.
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

Have you followed the network utility help in system preferences?

System preferences>network>show network status, that should show you where your connection is failing. Follow the set up assistant and you should be fine if you have all your log on's etc.

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accessing my Mac Mini Remotely | I want PDFs to open in Preview by default »