New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

download woes.....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

a1dadio

a1dadio is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mac book pro - 17, 2.33Ghz, 2 GB RAM : iPhone 8g

Kinda a newbie here. Switched March of this year and love it!!!! The last couple of months I've run into a bit of strange problem. It seems that certain files won't download. The browser seems to be trying, almost like it can't connect (Transferring data from xxxxx.xxx), but nothing...doesn't even time out. If I open another tab and go to a different site, other files download just fine. It is NOT the browser as I have tried both Safari and Firefox. The file types do NOT seem to be it either as some do and some don't.

Was in the Apple Store today and mentioned it one their guys and he had no clue...in fact he suggested I re-install. He must have been a Dell support tech before this .

I have tried running the various "clean up" utils and that seems to make no difference. These problems can be with video (wmv), downloads from Apple, updates to widgets, just doesn't seem to matter...dmg, zip, etc are all effected.

Other than that, this beast rocks the house!! Am learning all kinds of fun stuff, and probably suffering through some pain from ignorance, but I don't know any better so...

Any suggestions?

BTW...I am a manager at Dell, so I can poke fun. I also like to bring my impressive MacBookPro into the office from time to time and watch everyone drool
QUOTE Thanks
Fairly

Fairly has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Try curling the downloads so you have something to compare to.
QUOTE Thanks
a1dadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairly View Post
curling the downloads
Apologies...what is this? Not familiar with this
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1dadio View Post
Apologies...what is this? Not familiar with this

duh!

i think he mistyped it or something. i can't find anything relevent about "curling a download"

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
a1dadio

There is a "download manager" called cURL...but, of course, I can't download it

This is strange. Many thing work...many don't. Doesn't seem to be any real pattern. Have made sure that SpeedDownload is removed (have heard various things on this)...have done the apple jack thing on permissions...have tried diff download locations and even set browsers to prompt for location.

Any hints on a re-install? Will I have to do the backup, re-image and restore thing, or is there a way to keep docs, pics, etc. in tact? Gonna try calling Apple tomorrow as a last ditch effort, but this starting to become a pain.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post

duh!

i think he mistyped it or something. i can't find anything relevent about "curling a download"
<Off topic>

ROTFL

That's a good one!

Never heard of "curling a download" either.

</Off topic>
QUOTE Thanks
a1dadio

Finally nailed this one thanx to MacHeadCase. Have been working it in another thread. If interested in results see...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sho...d=1#post461775
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What antivirus software to use? | Sync with BOTH Outlook and iCal »