New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just the facts...OSX Vs XP


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
Mouse26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Iím a recent Mac convert, having been in the market for a laptop and seeing no laptop PC being able to compete with the perfect mixture of battery life, processing power and sleek design of the 12Ē powerbook.

And I can tell you now that I donít think Iíve ever been happier with a purchase, especially since I experienced such excellent customer service (Apple UK be applauded) and after sales support.

Having read this forum for a while though, Iím wondering just where the near fanatical Apple loyalty comes from? Admittedly no other technology firm has products which are as sexy as Appleís. Whomever the designer of their products and even packaging is, he/she can surely take a good deal of the credit for Appleís recent turn in fortune. The iPod is a thing of beautyÖ

Aside from looks though, with the event of XP, can anyone really give me a serious, non-emotive, fact-based argument for why Macs are better than PCís?

To my mind, XP is as stable, not hugely memory intensive (a PC appears to run much more comfortably with lower memory than an Mac) and itís range of software is vast compared to the Mac. Games run more impressively with lower systems requirements, there are more of them and they are much, much cheaper. Most peripherals are designed for PCís, some donít support Macís at all or have limited comparative functions (e.g. iSynch canít do half the things with my P900 that I want it to.)

OSX is pretty yes, but XP features changeable themes which can make it look pretty much identical.

The only real bonus for owning a Mac would be those working with media such as video or graphics?

Donít get me wrong, I love my Powerbook and when Iím on the go itís a lifesaver both for work and entertainment, plus it just looks fantastic. But why would you choose a Mac as a desktop? I just canít understand how the pros and cons could possibly swing in Appleís favour?
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Security. From hackers, viruses (see that thread) and spyware/adware.

I also feel that OS X is still a bit more reliable. Not having a registry (or DLL's) still counts for something.

And the design goes beyond looks sometimes. Yes, there are pretty colors, but UI is not an afterthought on the Mac. It's more consistent, has better feedback, and is less awkward.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I also agree with security. No hackers and viruses. Sure, PC's have more software, but people make it sound like there is no software out there for Mac's. Ever look at the programs for PC's? For example, look for a photo suite. How many are out there? With Apple, you have iPhoto built right in. They way I see it, there are more programs out there for PC's, but a lot of them are redundant. Aside from Office, I have not had to purchase any other software for my Mac, everything I need is already in it.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
I also agree with security. No hackers and viruses. Sure, PC's have more software, but people make it sound like there is no software out there for Mac's. Ever look at the programs for PC's? For example, look for a photo suite. How many are out there? With Apple, you have iPhoto built right in. They way I see it, there are more programs out there for PC's, but a lot of them are redundant. Aside from Office, I have not had to purchase any other software for my Mac, everything I need is already in it.
Don't forget that PCs have Office built-in, in addition to FrontPage, Access, and a few other applications. If Mac users want to make web pages, they have to buy Macromedia Studio (or, if they REALLY want to, they can use Microsoft Word, although Dreamweaver's much better), and if they want to make databases, they have to buy FileMaker Pro (or they can use Appleworks, but it's inferior).

Then again, Macs come with Garageband, iDVD, and a few other nifty applications where PC users do have to buy the equivalent. Still, making webpages and databases are more common for the average user than making band music or making DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade
Don't forget that PCs have Office built-in, in addition to FrontPage, Access, and a few other applications. If Mac users want to make web pages, they have to buy Macromedia Studio (or, if they REALLY want to, they can use Microsoft Word, although Dreamweaver's much better), and if they want to make databases, they have to buy FileMaker Pro (or they can use Appleworks, but it's inferior).
Only some PCs have Office included as a bundle, and even then it might not be the "full" version of Office. "Basic Edition" doesn't have PowerPoint or Access. "Small Business Edition" doesn't inclue Access. (Some really cheap PCs only have Microsoft Works + Word) And I've never had a PC with FrontPage bundled.

(BTW, Mozilla Composer is a fairly good quick-and-dirty WYSIWYG web page editor...and it's free for Mac and Windows.)
QUOTE Thanks
muso

 
muso's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 15, 2003
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
Posts: 2
muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

muso is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblade
Don't forget that PCs have Office built-in, in addition to FrontPage, Access, and a few other applications. If Mac users want to make web pages, they have to buy Macromedia Studio (or, if they REALLY want to, they can use Microsoft Word, although Dreamweaver's much better), and if they want to make databases, they have to buy FileMaker Pro (or they can use Appleworks, but it's inferior).

Then again, Macs come with Garageband, iDVD, and a few other nifty applications where PC users do have to buy the equivalent. Still, making webpages and databases are more common for the average user than making band music or making DVDs.
I can make webpages that look and function just as good, if not better, in textedit (and BBEdit for that matter) than I can in Dreamweaver. TextEdit is built in, as is notepad on the PC (and TextEdit is much better). FYI, if I were to try to modify (or even open and format) the code of this site in Dreamweaver or any WYSIWYG editor, the site would become unusable very quickly. And you'd all probably want my head on a stake Macs come with Apache ready to go (check a box and you're away), and PHP and mySQL preinstalled. It's a matter of spending a couple of seconds in the terminal to activate them (there's GUI tools you can download to do it for you). Web development is far more suited to the out-of-the-box mac than to any similar PC.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

I am a recent PC to Mac convert myself. The one thing that's not easy to quantify, nevertheless the most important feature of the Mac is the usability. I've switched to Mac because Panther is much more usable than Windows.

The stability was a factor when there was Win95 and OS9, but it's a history. All modern OS are just as stable. Moreover, stability was never a factor as far as end users are concerned. If it was, IBM OS/2 would have won long before Win95 came out. The reason OS/2 has lost is because it was not really usable. The reason Linux is only popular among the developers and power users are the same, it's not very usable.

Mac platform and OS being less susceptible to virus and adware is not really inherent advantage of Mac. It's rather a side effect of Mac not being a popular platform! You'll be surprised how many security holes are discovered and patched on modern Unix variants just like Windows. Hackers don't get as big of bragging rights writing MacOS virus than Windows virus, that's all.

Yes, Windows has come a long way. XP is certainly much more usable than NT and Win2000. But to me Panther is still a generation ahead in terms of usability.
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

there are tons of softwares!mac ppl aro pro ppls..so they buy standart things like lexmark rpinters. n lexmark have drivers for macs!
QUOTE Thanks
The mac 13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

all those adware ppl don under macs..so they don have adwares for mac. virus is a prob.even steve jobs agree...but it is not a big one like windoze...office bui;t in?must b note pad which suxs...bu good for normal basic useage..for memor part, try running opera on anyversion using adsl modem at 1.13 ghz xp and 128 ram...c wat happens...mine suxs..for the game part like i say, macs r for pros...they don play games..even if they play games, they play gambling games!
QUOTE Thanks
Mouse26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

The security thing I will grant you, but I agree with Moltenlava that the lower occurence of Mac viruses is simply because viruses are designed with hitting the most people, and that will be PC users. If Mac was the prevalent platform then I'd guess that alot more flaws in Mac security would be exploited. Is it really tested at the moment?!

The reason I asked the question in the question in the first place was that I am thinking of buying a new desktop, and was considering a G5. With all the evidence though I see no good argument why an Apple desktop is better than a PC. The design is miles ahead and the interface is more user friendly, but it's just not practical. You can just do more things more ways with a PC.

But having said that, when I come to upgrade my laptop, I'll almost certainly stick with Apples, in terms of portable office work and organisation (which I use it for), there's not a PC laptop that can touch it.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

 
Aptmunich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Munich
Posts: 9,073
Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Aptmunich is offline
" You can just do more things more ways with a PC."

I disagree: you COULD do a lot more things with a pc, but they're all difficult to do!

If i plug in my camera to my pc i get the files on a drive, my mac imports them to my photo library automatically. A pc COULD do the same, but it takes a bit of searching for the software and a bit of know-how to set up the automation.

I plug in an external soundcard for recording. My mac recognises it straight away and i'm recording.

My pc loads a hardware installation window and i am required to install drivers and reboot, THEN I'm recording...

Lets say i want to manage my address book on my pc, use it for mail contacts AND sync that to my mobile phone..(bluetooth or infrared..)

First i need a special driver for the supposedly built-in plug in and play infrared port. Then i need software to transfer data to the phone.

Then i need to export my contacts as vcards and then upload them manually to my phone. Tada i'm already done! Oh and your mail prog. probably uses a seperate address book where you have to import your contacts as well (see entourage)

Macs do so many things seamlessly, THAT's the advantage!

No hunting for drivers, bugfixes and tweaking tools (WITH exceptions!) most of the time, things play nice with each other! My phone likes isync, my address book likes mail and isync, my soundcard and camera like garageband and iphoto respectively....


It lets me work with the computer, not fight it all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

 
D3v1L80Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 02, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 12,456
D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

D3v1L80Y is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse26
....can anyone really give me a serious, non-emotive, fact-based argument for why Macs are better than PCís?
I am going to assume here that you are really asking the question, "Why is the MacOS better than the WindowsOS?", and if you want a fact, then here it is:

MacOS is not better than Windows and Windows is not better than MacOS.

I am sure there are some here who will undeniably become upset with that statement and do their best to discredit it, but what needs to be considered is this...
What OS or computer system a person chooses depends on their personal needs. Each OS/system has the same capabilities, there are just different ways to achieve them. It comes down to personal preference and opinion.
And opinions are not necessarily facts. The great Mac/Windows debate can be argued favorably for either side, each one having pros for itself and cons for the other. But in reality, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' OS.
I myself use computers with MacOS (OS9.2.2, OS 10.3.4), WindowsOS (98,ME, XP) and LinuxOS (Suse 6.2, Mandrake 7). While I may feel that certain functions perform better for me on each platform, it is personal preference. I am certain that if I put time, money and effort into each computer I own, I could uprgade hardware and software on each to make them perform virtually indistinguishable from each other, but I don't. It is easier for me to use each system as it is. Notice that it is easier for me, not for everyone.
So again, the answer to the question
Quote:
....can anyone really give me a serious, non-emotive, fact-based argument for why Macs are better than PCís?
I don't believe that anyone honestly can. They can only give their opinions, not facts. The bottom line is that one must make the choice on their own, according to what they plan to accomplish with their computer.

__________________________________________________
Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

 
Murlyn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 11, 2003
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 4,909
Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Murlyn is offline
Wahoo! Great answer and so very true
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

 
Member Since: Mar 30, 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,744
technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

technologist is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
So again, the answer to the question I don't believe that anyone honestly can. They can only give their opinions, not facts. The bottom line is that one must make the choice on their own, according to what they plan to accomplish with their computer.
It's a fact that there are more commercial applications for Windows.
It's a fact that Linux is free.
It's a fact that there are more viruses and worms (and spyware) for Windows than for other platforms.

There is also lots of factual evidence to support some opinions. I'm of the opinion that Apple hardware is more reliable, on average, than the competition. I base this on evidence from
Consumer Reports and PC Magazine.

I also think OS X is more secure. I base this on evidence from mi2g.

On a slightly more whimsical note, there's factual evidence to suggest that Mac users are better educated and make more money than the average computer user.

I'm not, and have never, said that OS X is better than Windows. If it was, I might not ever have to use Windows. But Macs do have real, quantifiable advantages for some applications.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 09, 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 2,860
witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

witeshark is offline
The fundamental structure of the Unix OS has inherent advantages, and having no registry is truly a major advantage
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« PC software on a MAC? | MS IE6 BOOKMARKS work with new eMac? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Cannont reboot back into OSX from OS9!!! help Nisshawn OS X - Operating System 6 03-11-2004 12:07 PM
Upgrading from 9.0 to OSX 10.3 Panther TRegner OS X - Operating System 8 02-02-2004 05:14 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?