New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

How to split large files ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Artiom87@gmail.

Artiom87@gmail. is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 2,33 ghz , 2gb ram , 120 gb

Hey there i need to split 6 gb file to 3 gb files , wich program i shall use ?
P.S. Split&Contact cant split files larger then 2 gb
QUOTE Thanks
Artiom87@gmail.

No ideas ?
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Try Sorsenson's Sqeeze. It won't split files--but it does an awesome job of compressing files. Assuming that this is an audio/video file...

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

ive never done it on a mac before but i know on windows you can .rar a file and split the rar file so its broken up into say 40 seperate files and then put them onto 2 dvd's and then copy the parts from the 2 dvd's back onto one hard drive and extract it as if it was one archive as it reads from them in order.

used winrar for that www.rarlab.com they have a mac osx version but ive never tried it.
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwillis View Post
ive never done it on a mac before but i know on windows you can .rar a file and split the rar file so its broken up into say 40 seperate files and then put them onto 2 dvd's and then copy the parts from the 2 dvd's back onto one hard drive and extract it as if it was one archive as it reads from them in order.

used winrar for that www.rarlab.com they have a mac osx version but ive never tried it.
seems simple enough XD

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
seems simple enough XD
My thought indeed

Good luck mate!

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

You could use the split command via the Terminal.

split -b2047m inputfilename

will generate smaller filenames starting with the letter x and two appended sorted characters, eg: xaa, xab, xac, etc. The original file is left intact. I'd personally do this in a subdirectory. By the way, the 2047 number is the maximum you can use, so in your case you will get 2 or 3 files.

To put the files back together, in the terminal simply type

cat x* >completefilename

Version tracker listed several utilities to do this.

Note that the splitting and recombining of files generates a great deal of disk activity. This can cause severe slow down of other applications. I was having issues with a few GUI apps I had open, and possibly network issues due to working with a 6.4GB file. So, patience is a virtue here.
QUOTE Thanks
Artiom87@gmail.

thanks for reply , ill try first of all splitting by terminal
QUOTE Thanks
Artiom87@gmail.

I tryed to split files using this command :
Artiom-M:~ Artiom$ split -b2047m SupCom1EFIS.mdf
split: SupCom1EFIS.mdf: No such file or directory
Artiom-M:~ Artiom$ split -b2047m SupCom1EFIS
split: SupCom1EFIS: No such file or directory

but as you can see i cant split it but i don't know why
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Perhaps there is a space or hidden character in the file name.

Try this.

Open Terminal and type "split -b2047m ". Note the space at the end.

Now find the file via the Finder and drag & drop the name into the terminal.

Make sure Terminal is the front active window and hit the return key.
QUOTE Thanks
thejudeabides

thejudeabides is on a distinguished road

I was a little unclear on the recombining, especially since I had burned the 3 files I got from my split onto DVDs and moved them to another computer, but after figuring it out, I thought it would help people like myself who lack any real skills at using Terminal to type out an (over)explanatory description of how to do it.

Make sure all your files are in one folder, preferably by themselves. In my case I had three files, each about 2GB, named "xaa", "xab", and "xac".

Open Terminal.

Type "cat " (no quotes, include the space)

Drag the first file into Terminal, next to where you just typed "cat ". This should add the directory location of the file.

Now press delete a couple times so that you're left with only the first letter of the file name. So in my case I'm deleting "aa" from "xaa" so I'm left with only "x".

Now type "* >" (no quotes include the space)

Finally type the original file name. VERY IMPORTANT! If there are any spaces in the file name, add "\" (no quotes) before the space. So if you're filename was:
Software I Downloaded Illegally.dmg
you would need to type:
Software\ I\ Downloaded\ Illegally.dmg

That last part is important!

In my case it didn't create the recombined file in the same folder, it dumped it in my Home folder. Not sure why it did that, but that's probably where you're file will be.
QUOTE Thanks
Tim0o

Tim0o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudeabides View Post
That last part is important!

In my case it didn't create the recombined file in the same folder, it dumped it in my Home folder. Not sure why it did that, but that's probably where you're file will be.
Hey, i made an account for this post so i hope it helps^^
So: They main reason for splitting my huge 8gb file was, that i had to copy it to my external drive which is unfortunately formatted in fat32, so no big files^^, now im very thankful for your help with reconnecting the files, but having it in my home folder wouldnt be very helpful^^, the solution for this problem is:
TL; DR:
you open the terminal and follow thejudeabides steps as far as to copying the "* >" into terminal, NOW is where its getting new: you simply drag&drop the folder in which you want it to be reconnected in into the terminal right after the ">" (no space afterwards) and afterwards the original filename, so afterwards it should look something like this:
"cat /Users/Name/x* >/Volumes/ExternalHDD/Folder/bigfile.mp4"

i hope this helped someone who had the same problem as myself, and don't go to hard on me, this is my first forums-thingy^^
QUOTE Thanks
pud381

pud381 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artiom87@gmail. View Post
Hey there i need to split 6 gb file to 3 gb files , wich program i shall use ?
P.S. Split&Contact cant split files larger then 2 gb
No longer the case with current version. I've split well over 8gb files. Btw, it is "Split & Concat", as in 'concatenate'.

After you split, use MacPar to create parset so downloader can verify your file.

No need to employ RAR proprietary scheme.
--
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« display issue | When to Shut down vs. Sleep »