New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

logout/shut down macbook question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dropshadow

dropshadow is on a distinguished road

Someone told me that it is better not to shut down my macbook because it isn't good for it, i don't remember what they said it did. but is it true? is it better for me to leave it in sleep mode or log out? does anyone know or have heard of something like that?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Nah. It's probably just that it's so easy to close the lid and put it to sleep (which actually works on a Mac) is so much quicker and so convenient, you don't find people really doing otherwise very much.

I turn off/restart mine about once every two weeks or so, or when Software Update requires it. I'll shut down to clean the keyboard, but other than that sleep is quicker and reliable.

It won't hurt it to restart/shut down/log out. Though it will free up on average about a gig of disk space every time you do so.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Apple officially recommends that you only shut down your computer if it is going to be more than three days before you use it again. They don't explicitly explain the rationale behind this.

Personally, I think it just makes the Mac that much more desirable in regards to boot times. Nothing like opening my MBP's lid and having it ready to go in ~1 second.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Should it sleep or shut down

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Was referencing that thread to emphasize searching, reposting, or just how many times we re-write answers to questions here?

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

i have a macbook pro and the only time i shut it down it when i boot into vista or when software update requires it.
usually i just close the lid and put it to sleep. which walkerj truley said actually works on a mac. but i know people who have windows laptops and they shut there down everytime. shes an idiot like
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainDanner

CaptainDanner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM

when you put it to sleep does the battery still drain?
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

yes it does but EXTREMLY slowly.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

In windows there is Hibernation & sleep.

Does a MacBook have both these functions? What is the diffrence and which one is best to use when you have finished working and dont want to use it any more or just for leaving it for 15min interverls?

Is this function nearly or as good with a windows laptop? I have never really used this function on my windows laptop before.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking to buy a Macbook but have some concerns! | Order Status Normal? »