New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Mewbie in need of help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Räj

Räj is on a distinguished road

You guys will probably hate me by the time I'm done asking questions, but here goes..
I just got a g4 power mac from a friend. I am thinking the os has been removed because when I turn it on I just get an icon of a folder with the mac smiley face in it and nothing else. I am proficient on a PC but have never so much as touched a mac. I am anxious to start working with it, but have no idea where to start. I am thinking about going to get the osx tiger upgrade and a processor upgrade to start out, but I might need some help just getting it running. Any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

When you boot it, try holding down the option key, or command key, and see if it gives you any choices for booting.

If not, ift may just require an install of the OS. Did you get any discs with the powerbook?

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
Räj

Räj is on a distinguished road

No software of any kind. and it's a g4 desktop. It was a surplus item a friend of mine had, and he doesn't even know anything about them. I'll try that, and plan to go to dallas this weekend to get the tiger os. It's a pretty decent machine that I would like to see up and running.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« (Hi from Turkey!)Which one to buy..Help please!! | malicious software in DMGs? »