New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Apple Care

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

trayns

trayns is on a distinguished road

I just bought my macbook. I opted not to purchase apple care on the spot. I have 90 days to buy it, and I wanted to check this forum to ask the experts of all things apple.

So, is apple care worth it?
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

You have a whole year to buy it but you only get 90 days free phone support. Yes, I would suggest buying it if it's a Macbook. It's a portable and more prone to get hurt.

BTW, try a search on this topic. There are a ton of threads.

QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Yes it's worth it, it saved me about $3,400 in repairs and got me a $3,000 MacBook Pro for free.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

You betcha. Hard drives fail, screen backlights prematurely fizzle out, keys pop, trackpads delaminate, mag-safe connectors melt, iSights quit working, batteries break down. These are just a few potentials that could occurr that doesn't fall under the 'accidental damage' (which AC doesn't cover) that if you did not have Apple Care and were out of warrantee, could leave you hurting.

Plus laptops go places. Some of them more hostile than others. AppleCare isn't like your garden variety warrantee that the Best Buys and Circuit City salesmen try to push on you whenever you buy a stereo or something. When you spring for the AC if something goes wrong, you need to have it fixed (like my groovy CD drive) and need to tell Apple to jump, they'll ask how high and fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
trayns

ok, ill get it

and just to double check - installing 2GB on my own will not terminate the apple care warranty.

i know this has been talked about several times, i just want to make sure.

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayns View Post
ok, ill get it

and just to double check - installing 2GB on my own will not terminate the apple care warranty.

i know this has been talked about several times, i just want to make sure.

thanks
Correct, RAM is a DIY upgrade that does not void the warranty.
QUOTE Thanks
benji25

benji25 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, new to the forums here. I purchased Applecare with my macbook. Do I need to do anything to activate it? Or is it automatically started?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forums here. I purchased Applecare with my macbook. Do I need to do anything to activate it? Or is it automatically started?
Welcome to the forums! You need to go to the apple support site:

http://www.apple.com/support/

and towards the bottom right there is a little section called AppleCare, click "Register and View AppleCare Agreements" it will take you through the rest.
QUOTE Thanks
benji25

benji25 is on a distinguished road

well i bought it with the macbook, so i dont have the box. Where would i find theregistration number?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji25 View Post
well i bought it with the macbook, so i dont have the box. Where would i find theregistration number?
If you ordered the macbook online then you have been auto enrolled, if you want to check go to the apple support site. On the right under AppleCare click "Register and View AppleCare Agreements" you'll have to sign in with your apple id. Then on the screen that comes up, it should give a bunch of register links and under all of those it will say, "Your Current Agreements" and it should say something along the lines of, "APP - MACBOOK" then give an agreement #.

If you have all of that then you are already enrolled in applecare, if none of that is there you need to call apple and figure out what's happening. You might also want to call anyways just to make sure you were enrolled when you purchased the macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
trayns

hey, way off topic,

but i just got my macbook, and i was wondering how to get the annoying macintosh HD icon off of the desktop
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayns View Post
hey, way off topic,

but i just got my macbook, and i was wondering how to get the annoying macintosh HD icon off of the desktop
Try Finder menu > Preferences, go to the General tab, uncheck Show these items on the Desktop: Hard disks.
QUOTE Thanks
xcapepr

xcapepr is on a distinguished road

Hey, I see guys on eBay selling Apple Care registration cards for $100 - 150!!

Anyone have any experience with this?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcapepr View Post
Hey, I see guys on eBay selling Apple Care registration cards for $100 - 150!!

Anyone have any experience with this?
Personally I wouldn't do it, I would rather pay full price for it at the apple store knowing im getting a legit copy. For all you know, they wrote the # and already used it.
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRockTuba View Post
Personally I wouldn't do it, I would rather pay full price for it at the apple store knowing im getting a legit copy. For all you know, they wrote the # and already used it.
yeah, definately not. don't buy off of ebay. if your going to get cheap applecare...do it somewhere else, but the apple store is the best to get it at.

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What is wrong with my battery? | Longer battery life? »