New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Just Got Home!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Joe Diver

Joe Diver is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.

Well, after lurking here for a while since I decided to switch, I just got back from the Apple Store with my new 24" iMac! I've been waiting somewhat patiently for today, and after multiple calls to the store the FedEx truck finally arrived.

Here's the new iMac ready to be unboxed:

And here's where it will go:

Now to open the requisite Sam Adams and get to work!
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Omg! I want to see pictures! Congrats!!!

QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Congrats, save for the Sam Adams part. haha j/k

Welcome to the board, BTW.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Joe Diver. Quite a gorgeous Mac you got there! Congrats!
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Diver

Mac Specs: 24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.

Thanks everyone...I'll post pics and comments after a while....gotta bet busy ya know!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Simbad54

Simbad54 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Book Pro. 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo running OSX 10.9.3, 8GB Ram

I'm jealous of your Mac for sure. But I'm also jealous of all those guitars!!!
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Welcome to the board, I am very interested in seeing pics of the new iMac because im not much of a fan of it. Maybe real pics in a home environment will change my mind.
QUOTE Thanks
Nabooly

Nabooly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM

Congrats!!

Haha looks like u just vacuumed the carpet for the new imac :thumbsup:
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Heh, I like the beer. Nice touch.

The other day I was cleaning up my office and unearthed the box my Macbook came in. Took one look at it and said "nah, I can't throw that away even though it's unlikely I'll ever need to ship the Mac anywhere; it's just too pretty."

Before I switched to the Mac I had heard of this packaging phenomenon and couldn't believe that people posted pics of unpacking the thing. It's just one of those things you need to get a Mac in order to understand.
QUOTE Thanks
Nabooly

Nabooly is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post

The other day I was cleaning up my office and unearthed the box my Macbook came in. Took one look at it and said "nah, I can't throw that away even though it's unlikely I'll ever need to ship the Mac anywhere; it's just too pretty."

Before I switched to the Mac I had heard of this packaging phenomenon and couldn't believe that people posted pics of unpacking the thing. It's just one of those things you need to get a Mac in order to understand.
Lol theres tons of videos on youtube of people unpacking their macs
QUOTE Thanks
gigabella

gigabella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook; 80gig HDD; 1gb Ram; iLife '08; Mac:Office; Firefox!

Definitely post more pics.....want to see it all up on the desk and ready for use. I like the Sam Adams touch as well.....although im a Blue Moon gal lately myself LOL
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post

There was a guy that run a service for Mac Mini owners, where he'd hook 'em up to a blazing fast internet connection for use as personal servers (I've forgotten what they call it; collocation?). Anyway, he kept all the boxes and would just pile them up, and take pictures of them... it's like art

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
Joe Diver

Okay...taking a short break....

I unpacked the box...not much in there but that's as it should be!

That new keyboard is really cool...very thin and sleek...I think I like it but time will tell:

Got it all setup, booted up and the initial stuff done: (note the wireless Mighty Mouse )

Now the process of copying files, setting things up, bookmarks, iTunes...I have ALOT of stuff so thank God for networking:

So far so good...only problem I've run into is iTunes creating duplicate entries of all my songs...that's not gonna work....I've tried twice now to add my "Music" folder to the library, same result each time....
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Thanks for sharing!

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

See, I'm on the fence about that keyboard. It's exactly the same as my Macbook keyboard, just not attached to a Macbook. I don't mind using my Macbook keyboard during the day when I don't have my now old-school Apple wireless bluetooth keyboard, but I don't know that I'd be able to use that style of keyboard all the time.

I know that many people love the new keyboard form factor (those who have used it on a Macbook, and probably those who will buy the new USB thin aluminum that's pretty much the same), but I'm still not sure about it. I don't think that I'd get one of those new ones as my external keyboard.

It all looks pretty dang sexy though.

To copy the iTunes, I'd do a DVD backup to disc on the source computer if you can, then a restore on the new iMac. But that's just me.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New to Macs, new to the forums | First Gremlin? »