New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

i need help about getting a macbook!!!


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
JAM7007

 
JAM7007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2007
Posts: 13
JAM7007 is on a distinguished road

JAM7007 is offline
okay so im about to trade my Dell XPS laptop for a Macbook,core 2 duo,1gb,80gigHD

so heres the thing
im going on a 4 week trip to portugal and i had MSN messenger all set up to talk to people form US to there but idk if Apples are capable of doing so
so i have a fewq questions

-Can i use MSN messenger to talk to windows users?
-How can i access internet in europe?
-is iChat an AIM alternative?
-can i play pc games on macbooks? (counterstrike,halflife,doom)

if someone has a webcam on a computer in US, and i have my macbook(built in webcam obviosuly)...whats the best way, other than MSN Messenger(if even possible) , to talk to someone "face-to-face?"

Thanks guys, if theres answeres get answered, big + reps to whoever and i will be very greatful


-
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

 
Levi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Levi is offline
- Ofcourse
- Depends... you'll find it's not much different from the rest of the world
- Yes
- If you install Windows you have a chance, but the MacBook isn't meant for 3D graphics, so it won't be all that good (same as other "low-end" notebooks)

iChat would be the best way.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
JAM7007

 
JAM7007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2007
Posts: 13
JAM7007 is on a distinguished road

JAM7007 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
- Ofcourse
- Depends... you'll find it's not much different from the rest of the world
- Yes
- If you install Windows you have a chance, but the MacBook isn't meant for 3D graphics, so it won't be all that good (same as other "low-end" notebooks)

iChat would be the best way.
-thankss
-does europe use eithernet and 56k modem?
-is macbook rly not meant for 3d graphics? because i thought that pirates of the caribean used Maya 8 on a macbook tomake "Davey jones"
-is iChat webcam capable? and if so, can i "webcam-chat" with someone using AIM? or do they need ichat aswell?
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

 
Member Since: Apr 19, 2007
Posts: 780
smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

smurfy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM7007 View Post
-thankss
-does europe use eithernet and 56k modem?
-is macbook rly not meant for 3d graphics? because i thought that pirates of the caribean used Maya 8 on a macbook tomake "Davey jones"
-is iChat webcam capable? and if so, can i "webcam-chat" with someone using AIM? or do they need ichat aswell?
-...
-dude what are you talking about? of course europe uses the same stuff as wherever you live.
-it has no graphics card, just integrated Intel graphics, so it will not be as good. you may mean a MacBook Pro, which is alot more powerful and has a graphics card.
-yes. iChat can talk to people who have iChat, AIM, Jabber, and the Leopard version will do Google Talk.

BTW, for MSN, DO NOT USE Microsoft's official Messenger for Mac. It's awful and pretty near featureless. Adium will do MSN and many other services and has the best interface in my opinion. aMSN will do video chat in MSN.
QUOTE Thanks
JAM7007

 
JAM7007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2007
Posts: 13
JAM7007 is on a distinguished road

JAM7007 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
-...
-dude what are you talking about? of course europe uses the same stuff as wherever you live.
-it has no graphics card, just integrated Intel graphics, so it will not be as good. you may mean a MacBook Pro, which is alot more powerful and has a graphics card.
-yes. iChat can talk to people who have iChat, AIM, Jabber, and the Leopard version will do Google Talk.

BTW, for MSN, DO NOT USE Microsoft's official Messenger for Mac. It's awful and pretty near featureless. Adium will do MSN and many other services and has the best interface in my opinion. aMSN will do video chat in MSN.
-idk man, europe uses different video output and (obviosuly) AC and DC, i just wasnt sure if they used etherneyt and 56k...okay, so if whereever im staying has 56k or ethernet, how do i get wireless internet onto my laptop? like hwo does airport express work, ik that they make cards but do they intercept signals form wireless routers like linksys?
-okay so now that ik micMSN sucks on macbook, i used adium, which im assuming already has aMSN on it? or is aMSN a different program than Adium?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

 
Levi's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 06, 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 681
Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Levi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM7007 View Post
-idk man, europe uses different video output and (obviosuly) AC and DC, i just wasnt sure if they used etherneyt and 56k...okay, so if whereever im staying has 56k or ethernet, how do i get wireless internet onto my laptop? like hwo does airport express work, ik that they make cards but do they intercept signals form wireless routers like linksys?
-okay so now that ik micMSN sucks on macbook, i used adium, which im assuming already has aMSN on it? or is aMSN a different program than Adium?

thanks
- No idea what you just said.
- aMSN is a different program. It supports video, whereas Adium doesn't.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

 
Member Since: Feb 18, 2007
Posts: 265
visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

visualpurple is offline
MacBooks have a wireless card built in, so you just need to pick up a wireless signal and connect to it. They pick up the same wireless signals as PCs. It also has an ethernet port, so if you're somewhere where you can plug in, you can get internet that way.
QUOTE Thanks
JAM7007

 
JAM7007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 06, 2007
Posts: 13
JAM7007 is on a distinguished road

JAM7007 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualpurple View Post
MacBooks have a wireless card built in, so you just need to pick up a wireless signal and connect to it. They pick up the same wireless signals as PCs. It also has an ethernet port, so if you're somewhere where you can plug in, you can get internet that way.
thanks man, good info
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« BEST Wireless Router For Speed? | couple of quick questions - help »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
New MacBook.. FINALLY Happy! cgchambers Apple Notebooks 7 04-10-2008 09:20 AM
Should I get Macbook or Macbook Pro? markw10 Switcher Hangout 20 10-12-2007 03:43 PM
Macbook Decision apple7 Switcher Hangout 3 01-03-2007 12:16 AM
Macbook or MacBook Pro? markw10 Apple Notebooks 1 08-31-2006 02:37 AM
MacBook and EVE Online RabitSquirell OS X - Apps and Games 2 06-19-2006 02:50 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?