New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Audio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dialtone

Dialtone is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6

I've finally transferred everything over to my MacBook and couldn't be any happier. However, when I go to insert a CD, or listen to something in iTunes there is no audio. I can listen to tutorials fine through my .mac account. The only thing I did do was download SiriusMac which is still not playing.

Can anyone lend any advice? I've checked everything through system preferences and also checked the keyboard volume adjustment...
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Got all the latest Software Updates?

It may sound dumb, but is iTunes muted?
QUOTE Thanks
Dialtone

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Quad-Core i7 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.6

Yeah, I just updated them on Friday. I checked iTunes and it isn't muted...

Do you think it might have something to do with SiriusMac?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Do other sounds not work (while system sounds, like moving a file, or the little 'you did something meaningless' boops)? Specifically, does iChat or Mail make any noise (test by sending yourself an email. If you don't get the "whoosh" sound when you press send.)

If so (or even if it isn't the case, it's not damaging to do this) try:

Launch Activity Monitor. Search for a process called 'coreaudiod'. Force quit that process. It'll ask for your password since it's a system process. Quit Activity Monitor (a new coreaudiod will be spawned, not to worry) and see if you get sound from the app you're trying to use.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Also try opening /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.
Make sure the output Format says 44100.0 Hz.
Sometimes games or other apps can change it.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dialtone

Thanks for the responses.

I ended up checking for updates again. There were two updates, one of them an airport wireless update and the other a security update. I restarted after installing the updates and lone behold...things are working fine. I will use your tips for future reference though...thanks again!

Man, this is so much better then my XP machine. It's amazing how fast applications open and just have overall better performance. I can honestly state, that I will NOT go back to the darkside!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My time is always changing | new MacBook Pro problems »