New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

New Mackbook, couple Setup/usage questions...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SLovell1

SLovell1 is on a distinguished road

I got my new Macbook last night (white, 2.16gh, 120gb HD, 2gb RAM) and I am setting it up. I started calibration (plugged it in), last night and got to where it said "pick the network connection and enter password", I don't have my wireless up and running yet so I didn't know what to do...I'm assuming when I buy my wireless router or access point it will come with a password (so neighbors can't tap in). In that case, when I pick the network type or whatever, how will I be able to get the internet from (other) networks OUTSIDE of my home (I have never owned a laptop and obviously very new to apple and the wireless "scene"). For instance, if I have linksye (Spelling?) in my home, how do I get a connection in the airport, it isn't likely all of these places will have the same network configuration as I will. Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

you dont have your wireless router up yet, right?

So, what, you got a wired connection or something?

If so, plug that in and set up accordingly.

I don't really get it.

When you get a wireless router, you have to set it up, and that means you pick a password to use.

If you wanted to get a connection an Airport, you would click the little AirPort (yes, the name is a coincidence) icon in the top right, and select one of the networks that then appears. If the network has a password it will ask you for it, if not, it will simply connect.
QUOTE Thanks
gigabella

gigabella is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook; 80gig HDD; 1gb Ram; iLife '08; Mac:Office; Firefox!

If you are looking to be able to connect wirelessy in different locations i.e. airport, friends house, coffee shop, as long as the wireless connection is not locked or requiring payment your built in wireless adapter will automatically find an available network and connect.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Little macBook Differances? | Windows Equivalent to Ichat? »