New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

compatibility in a windows environment?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbook37499

macbook37499 is on a distinguished road

I am looking into a laptop for my future studies in school.
I would love to purchase a MacBook simply because of its simplicity, its reputation, and the fact that it would be fun to discover something new and different. I am quite efficient on a PC, and have never had any extensive problems regarding compatibility. So i am wondering, how compatible is the macbook in a windows environment? I have read about this Bootcamp program or something that i would install, but i have no experience with it at all, and i am scared to encounter problems. I wish to open saved files in corel word perfect and in microsoft word formats. If i could simply convert these files into another more suitable format, it would help greatly. What am i getting myself into if i buy a mac? ps. budget is a factor, therefore i would like to limit these bootcamp upgrades and such to a minimum, that is if they cost anything.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It sounds like you've got the right mindset for trying a Mac - wanting to discover something new.

There is a version of Microsoft Office for Mac, it's fully compatible with the Windows version of Office. In addition, there are a number of alternatives to MS Office that can read and write most of the popular file formats. And if that doesn't do it for you, you can actually install Windows on your Mac in a dual-boot setup using Boot Camp and run literally any Windows program you wish.

In addition, there are alternatives to Boot Camp that either compliment it or replace its functionality. Those include Parallels Desktop and VMWare Fusion, which allow you to run Windows within a window at the same time as Mac OS. So, to answer your concerns - really, anything you can do with a PC, you can do with a Mac!

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

The best way to run Windows is with BootCamp, as all it does is boot Windows... Parallels and the like run Windows within an app running in OS X (slower and more prone to issues/incompatabilities... but means you can use both OS's at the same time).

The only cost involved if you go the BootCamp route is buying a copy of Windows (XP sp2 or Vista). BootCamp will burn Windows drivers for the iSight and keyboard (and everything else that needs them) so everything should work just as it would in OS X.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
macbook37499

macbook37499 is on a distinguished road

thank you very much for your informative responses, though that has greatly reduced my worries about the mac system, they are not gone, compatibility doesnt seem an issue anymore, therefore how is technical service with apple? how would you customers handle a situation involving simple repairs, etc? i live in canada in a rural area, though i have access to a staples business depot, and other similar shops, ( the source), where do you people service your macs?
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbook37499 View Post
thank you very much for your informative responses, though that has greatly reduced my worries about the mac system, they are not gone, compatibility doesnt seem an issue anymore, therefore how is technical service with apple? how would you customers handle a situation involving simple repairs, etc? i live in canada in a rural area, though i have access to a staples business depot, and other similar shops, ( the source), where do you people service your macs?
An Apple Authorized Reseller should be able to help you (use Apple's website to find one near you).

With very simple repairs, you can request parts from Apple and then fit them yourself; for more complex problems you can call/submit a webform (seems to vary by country), and request a shipping box to send it off to Apple. If it's a software issue you might be able to get a walk-through over the phone, but only for the first 90 days after purchase (after that you'll need to have AppleCare). All other options are covered under the one year warranty, and AppleCare will extend that warranty to three years.

All the information for your area should be on your local Apple website under the Support banner.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Here ~ Switching | Little macBook Differances? »