New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Macbook internet connection (help)...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SLovell1

SLovell1 is on a distinguished road

In my home I have 2 desktop PC's, they are networked by a Wired router. Is there any cheap way of hooking something to my router that would work as a wireless signal so I could use a Macbook anywhere in my house? I hope I am asking this clear enough...I just am looking for an easier way then to switch the wired router with a wireless router and running all PC's (and Mac) as wireless. I would like for my PC's to stay Wired, while the MacBook is wireless.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i dont think there is. a wireless router isnt very expensive these days.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I used a wireless router I acquired as a hand-me-down as a wireless access point to my wired router network. Then the wired one got destroyed by, oh, let's say it just kinda had an accident. Subbed in the wireless to take over for wired things.

Now everything is wireless. Verizon then provided me with a very nice wireless router that the Macs just hook up to. My wife's old Mac Mini has built-in airport. Who knew?
QUOTE Thanks
TheInvsbleMan

TheInvsbleMan will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod Classic 120GB

even if you did switch to a wireless router you could leave your other computers wired... and just use the laptop wireless. Not EVERYTHING has to be wireless. If you have any questions about setting it up that way let me know. I'm on my way to getting my CCNA so I can help
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
i dont think there is. a wireless router isnt very expensive these days.
They're about US$30-70...the popular Linksys 802.11g router is US$50 from Amazon. I don't think that's particularly expensive, compared to, say, the price of a MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

i have a wireless netgear router which is pureley for my macbook pro the other 2 desktops in my house are wired. the router is in the loft bedoom and one pc is there and the other desktop is downstairs 2 floors down in the dining room.
QUOTE Thanks
teacher

teacher is on a distinguished road

Watch the ads for the computer stores. I have picked up a wireless router or two for free after rebates in the last few months for friends. I have had as many as 18 connections to my wireless when hosting a radio show get together last summer without any problems. I have my tivo and two Macs wireless as well as my printer with an old pc wired. You can mix and match as much as you like.

Julia
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anti-Virus for Mac? | Made Switch: Two MacBooks for me. »