New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

August 8th @ 11:00 am

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

That's my personal shopping appointment at the nearest Apple store (2.5 hours away)!! I've finally decided to completely make the switch. I'm leaning toward the black macbook (both my hubby and I like the black better). I will also check out the MBPs, but doubt I'll get one. I'll be buying in NH - so that means no sales tax!! I'll also get the education discount (I'm an elementary teacher) and I already have a buyer for my free iPod!! Not to mention the free printer that I'll get! Woohoo! I'm hoping that on August 7th they will announce a new iLife or iWork along with the new iMacs, so I'll be able to get the new software on the new macbook. After I get the macbook I plan on also getting:

3GB RAM from newegg.com
Windows XP OEM edition to use with bootcamp (maybe parallels??)
Keyboard and Mouse (other than Apple version - unless the new one on August 7th is really spectacular)
MS Office for Mac

Torn between:
bestskinever
MacStyles
Speck SeeThru

Anyother accessory recommendations?

I've waited long enough, so when I heard of the Apple anouncement on Aug 7th, I quickly made an appt for August 8th. Hopefully the new iMacs won't make it hard for me to buy a macbook!! Or maybe I can convince my hubby to get both....

I can't wait!! I just thought I'd share my excitement!
QUOTE Thanks
Dodger

Dodger is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook white, 2.0 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 80G HDD, 1G RAM

Wow that sounds so fun! You're getting decked out

I don't see why you need an extra 3G of RAM even if you ARE running Windows, but hey, why not... the stuff is quite cheap nowadays.

I didn't know you actually had to make an apt. to shop in the Apple Store. I don't have one in my area but I really want to visit one... they must be cool.

Good luck with your purchase and let us know how it goes.

"Have a strong base, a witty mind, and a heart that is open but in no way hungry."
QUOTE Thanks
kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

I didn't realize I had to make an appt either.. I called the store for info and they recommended making an appt to make sure you definitely get service, and good service. Sounded good to me, especially since it's the day after a major anouncement!!

I don't really need 3GB of RAM... but I definitely want 2GB. So I figured that for the price of upgrading to 2GB of RAM through Apple, I can upgrade it myself to 3GB for even cheaper. Also, instead of buying 2 x 1GB sticks, and later deciding that I want 3GB and then having an extra 1GB leftover, I'd just get 1 x 2GB stick, and 1 x 1GB stick and do it at the beginning. I might change my mind still, but it seems to make sense to me (money wise and for future stuff).
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Welcome kuklachica!! I'm sure your experience with Apple will go well. Also, I'm currently in college to become an elementary school teacher! Looks like we have several things is common already.

Good luck with your purchase!

QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Getting an appointment to buy. Hmmm. All my Macs where bought by me just walking in, but an appointment would have been a good idea. They don't descend on you the second you enter the store like Best Buy salespeople. In fact, it's kind of hard to get their attention even if you're there to buy a couple grand worth of Apple gear.
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Cool.
QUOTE Thanks
dbam987

dbam987 is on a distinguished road

I got the Speck SeeThru and ended up wanting to return it. It is just cheap plastic. They claim its a hard case, but its a bit too flexible to be called that.

Congrats on the upcoming MB though!

MacBook Pro
Estimated Delivery Date: Aug 7th - Aug 14th | 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2 GB Memory @ 667 MHz | 160 GB HD @ 5400 RPM | NVidia 8600 GT @ 128 MB GDDR3 | SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) | 15-inch Widescreen | Bluetooth | Intel Wireless A/B/G/N
QUOTE Thanks
Thomas0302

Thomas0302 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2.16 GHz 1GB ram 160 GB HD

I just bought a black macbook doing the same thing you are doing. I got it on this tax-free weekend, got the education discount, and got a 4 gb iPod in red which I plan to sell on eBay or craigslist

I just put MS office on it a couple minutes ago an was planning on getting palm rest cover from bestskinsever.com but right now I'm just using a microfiber cloth to wipe it down and its taking all the smudges away easily so I might hold off on that.
I bought the black trackpad film with it. It's working great and you cant tell its on by looking at it and the responsiveness is good.

I just posted a thread about what happened to me with my macbook and ipod rebate. Make sure that you get a receipt with both your macbook purchase and iPod purchase listed on it in order to be eligible for the rebate. They gave me 2 separate reciepts when I bought mine and just read the rebate terms and it says they have to be on the same reciept so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do right now...

p.s. I'm about to switch my major to elementary ed. I just finished my junior year in investment banking and decided that I'd rather have a fun job that I liked like teaching so I'm pretty much going to be in college for a loooong time b/c of my (very) late major change
QUOTE Thanks
Sproit

Sproit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(

My nearest apple store' are like 30 mins drive max,

Dude we have like 3 or 4 in the Middle of The Netherlands here, (just to suggest the tiny country I'm living in, but fock we are good )

Thought the US had much Apple Store's, but we have probally more

And as final touch,God created the Dutch!
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

You're getting a Mac? Macs suck!

kiddin.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« just bought an imac | My time is always changing »