Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tv-ma
    How do I rename a file, *please don't laugh at me"
    Okay, so I am a recent switcher from Linux to MAC. I am so retarded, I do not know how to rename a file? Normally in Linux I would right click a file through the gui, or just use the "mv" command from the cli. I downloaded a file to my desktop on my powerbook, and I can't seem to find a way to "rename" it so I can better categorize it. Any help is appreciated. I did do a search through the forums under " rename file " but couldnb't find anyhting.

please don't laugh at me ?

thanks,
    tv-ma

Mouse26
    Quote Originally Posted by tv-ma
    Okay, so I am a recent switcher from Linux to MAC. I am so retarded, I do not know how to rename a file? Normally in Linux I would right click a file through the gui, or just use the "mv" command from the cli. I downloaded a file to my desktop on my powerbook, and I can't seem to find a way to "rename" it so I can better categorize it. Any help is appreciated. I did do a search through the forums under " rename file " but couldnb't find anyhting.

please don't laugh at me ?

thanks,
    tv-ma

Don't worry, I had much teh same trouble until last week! Getting out of Windows habits can be hard eh?

Basically, click on the file you want to rename, hold down the Apple Button and press "I", or select "info" from the file menu on the top bar. This will bring up a screen with the file information.

In there you will see the filename field can be edited, so just type in there and press return to rename your file.

tv-ma
    omg.. thank you so much, I would of never figured that out, seems logical, ... again, thanks Mouse26 I appreciate it.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    The other way is to double click on the name of the file, not the icon. Once you have done this the name should be high-lighted. Now just type in the new name.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Mouse26
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    The other way is to double click on the name of the file, not the icon. Once you have done this the name should be high-lighted. Now just type in the new name.
    No problem tv-ma, and thanks rman for the shortcut way to do it, live and learn!

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
    you beat me to it rman...I was just gonna say...

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 10
    And if you're running OS X, you still have mv. Just open the Terminal.

tv-ma
    what is the easiest way to open a terminal? Can I make it a shortcut of a right clcik of CTRL + click menu? How do I open it normally? I have opened it once, but was a link through the help menu, and it took me to a kornshell, I thought the default was bash?

tv-ma
    nevemrind, I figured it out.. im such a n0ob

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
    A really nice little app is "Open Terminal" which you can download at http://www.entropy.cc I believe that's the url, basically in panther you stick it with the rest of your stuff on the left of your file browser, and when you click on it, it opens up the terminal and changes the directory to the directory you were just in in the GUI.. pretty smooth

tv-ma
    thanks for the link Murlyn, I'll definitely be using that

Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    All those work fine, I just use the Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal path. Also, if you run crons there -off line - as root, you may, as I have, taken to no need to retype the command, just hit the up arrow for last command (should be exit) again for the next previous command etc and it's done

Specs:
    I love student discount (sig)
    you can highlight the file and press enter or single click the filename and wait a second

double clicking it opens it for me :-/

I read OS X is the easiest to rename files and I 100% agree
    iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
    Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
    Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
    iPad 3G + iPhone 4

Specs:
    2GHz C2D macbook
    Quote Originally Posted by rman

actuely its one click on title, double click will just open

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I double click the file name, not the icon.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information