Thread: Debian to Mac?

Debian to Mac?

Debian to Mac?
    Hello everyone. I haven't been around computers that long, maybe 5 years at the most (started late in life), but have gotten fed up with Windows fairly quickly. I decided to try my hand at Debian and throughly enjoy the OS (stable version). Can anyone tell me the differences I'd encounter upon switching? I really like the idea of a free OS, but wouldn't mind paying for a Mac if it were just as reliable. I don't do any gaming, just forums and research.

Good to meet all of you,

Garrett

Debian to Mac?
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    my operating system life went from windows to os x to ubuntu to windows and back to osx in a few weeks.

os x has a lot of great perks over linux because in general it 'just works' and you got ilife and expose and stuff but the only thing i'd say the linux world has over os x is its vast library of open source software which can be downloaded super easy through sourceforge, apt-get, and whatever installer/searcher debian(in your case) uses.

there is never any bothering with sudo and bash and all that crap when you are using os x

i personally still prefer os x over linux any day.

and too me it sounds like a mac mini or an imac would suite you quite well for what you do on y our computer
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

Debian to Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by coach_z View Post
    my operating system life went from windows to os x to ubuntu to windows and back to osx in a few weeks.

os x has a lot of great perks over linux because in general it 'just works' and you got ilife and expose and stuff but the only thing i'd say the linux world has over os x is its vast library of open source software which can be downloaded super easy through sourceforge, apt-get, and whatever installer/searcher debian(in your case) uses.

there is never any bothering with sudo and bash and all that crap when you are using os x

i personally still prefer os x over linux any day.

and too me it sounds like a mac mini or an imac would suite you quite well for what you do on y our computer
    -chris
    Thanks for the info. chris. I was pretty desperate to jump from Windows into Linux without any background in the system. I learned a lot though through trial and error. After a few installs and fooling around with apt-get, I figured out a way to get it to install basic packages without interacting with apt-get (I never could get it right). It would always kick me into a bootloader and no desktop, but finally figured it out. I couldn't even tell you how I did it now.

How much are the Mac Mini's and Imac's running these days?

Thanks for your help,

Garrett

Debian to Mac?
    I did the Windows/Linux route and then switched over to OSX. I liked Linux a lot (used lots of different flavors) but to me OSX is just the "perfect" system.

Debian to Mac?
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I did the same thing - Windows -> Linux -> Mac OS X. I wrote a switcher's guide oriented to Linux switchers. Check it out at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Li...linux2mac.html

You *may* find it useful.

AND remember, Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, so you can run most of your Linux favorite apps on OS X, via things like DarwinPorts. I do this, running almost all of my favorite apps, such as gnumeric, xv, feh, and so on.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

Debian to Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by mac57 View Post
    I did the same thing - Windows -> Linux -> Mac OS X. I wrote a switcher's guide oriented to Linux switchers. Check it out at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Li...linux2mac.html

You *may* find it useful.

AND remember, Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, so you can run most of your Linux favorite apps on OS X, via things like DarwinPorts. I do this, running almost all of my favorite apps, such as gnumeric, xv, feh, and so on.
    mac57, that's a great guide, thanks a lot!!!

Garrett

Thread Information