New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

80 GIG external drive help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bennjiboi

bennjiboi is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb

hey guys i recently switched from PC to MAC thank god!

and i was using a usb external drive for back up ect with my pc..

i cant seem to acccess it obviouslly when i plug it into my mac?

i wanted to know how if i could format it so i can use it ect..?

also, i brought a PowerBook 15" 1.5ghz and i was wondering if there was a hdd case or something of the sort i could use firewire with..

i only brought a Powerbook 15" instead of a new mac book cause i wanted the firewire 800 port lol

so i was hopeing someone could help me use it lol

cheers,

ben
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well I can tell you right now that your Mac cannot access the external drive possibly because it may be formatted in NTFS, which only Windows can read and write too. You want to format the drive to FAT32, which both Mac and Windows will be able to read/write to.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

oh ok..

so just throw it in my windows pc and format it then it should be ok?

i hope so ive tried to transfer gigs and gigs of stuff over lol and ive had to start doing it by cd lol
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

You could try and use disk utility to reformat it. That way you wouldnt have to take it back to the PC. Im not at my mac at the moment, so Im not 100% sure if it would work. Anyway, yeah FAT32 would be good to use for both operating systems...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

even it it were ntfs it should mount. you just would not be able to edit or delete files on the drive.

are you sure it's not showing up in finder or on your desktop?

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

yeah its not showing up anywhere

but ill go home and try and format it with my pc..

is there a way i can buy axternal cases that are firewire?

its just a hdd/external case in a 3.5" casing..

im excited about the use of firewire.. as im a mac virgin..
and reall really want to use it..

and im only running 10.3.9 and im already excited about my os lol

i cant imagine what tiger to be.. and we wont even talk about leopard lol

and im not even using the new intel based macs yet..

oh so much excitment lol
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

OS X should still be able to see and grab files from an NTFS drive. Sometimes if there's an error on the disk it won't mount, but will still show up in Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility), where you can repair/format it. If it's not recognized at all, there could be a problem with the disk, cable or the port it's plugged into. Best check it on your Windows system and work your way through the possibilities.

You can get FireWire HDD enclosures, but they will be more expensive than USB (because they usually include a USB port aswell as 2 FireWire ports [one to connect to the computer and one to connect other FireWire devices to in a "daisy chain"]). If you're meaning FireWire 800, then they too are available, but in my limited experience its usually cheaper to buy a ready-made external HDD with FireWire 800 than buying the case and HDD separately.

Koalas: The mafia of the animal kingdom.

Now Powered By Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
bennjiboi

thanks so much, i threw my hdd onto my pc last night and it reads/writes ok..

so im going to try and format it? whats the best way to do so? i tried to format it through my pc and it will only allow me to format NTFS.

will i have to you the command box and do it that way..?

and i think ill do as you say and might just hold off on the external hdd, i want to get an airport and soon be able to back it all up on that..

but even then is it only usb isnt it? so ill still have slowish transfers..

slower then firewire obviously? im still new to firewire and havent even be able to use it yet lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« BootCamp WinXP instalation question | PowerBook Ram And Casing? »