New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Windows Equivalent to Ichat?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

I havent got a MacBook yet, so im killing for a windows equivalent to Ichat.

Is there, or what is the best windows equivalent?
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Trillian would probably be the closest thing to iChat. You can get skin packs from DeviantArt.com to match iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I 2nd Trillian. I used to use it till I tried OSX and started using it for 95% of my computer needs. Trillian is a very good multi chat client. I have it on my one Laptop PC.
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Not only is Trillian great for the multi-client part, but it's very, very customizable as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

If you only use AOL service and not say MSN or Yahoo or whatever, just use AIM. It's simple and easy. Just watch out because I know they used to bundle stupid apps in with AIM, like weatherbug and other adware junk that no one really wants.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
If you only use AOL service and not say MSN or Yahoo or whatever, just use AIM. It's simple and easy. Just watch out because I know they used to bundle stupid apps in with AIM, like weatherbug and other adware junk that no one really wants.
Bryan
They still do. I downloaded it for my Dell the other day, and it gloms on like that face-hugger from Aliens. Wanted to test AIM video capability, with a new webcam for my PC (to try with iChat and my iSight; didn't work) and I'll get around to uninstalling it one of these days.

gaim is a good AIM client for Windows. I used that before I got my Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
brentsax

brentsax is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15.4" MBP - 2.2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 8600M GT w/ 128MB DDR3

Here's another vote for Trillian. I've used it for a long time and it's the best multi-service IM client out there IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

Nothing will ever be EXACTLY like iChat, so why not go for ease of use? Meebo.com is awesome. It's and in-browser chat app, for msn, aim, and more. Check it out
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

im after the video confrencing side of things also. whats best for this, something like skype?
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

Oh, in that case, I don't know,
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Personally I can't stand the free version of trillian... it's just, er, yuck. I use pidgin instead. As for video conferencing, I'm not sure there are any freeware apps out there, but doesn't MSN Messenger support that?

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
bmcgonag

bmcgonag will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram

For cross platform video conference, or video voice chat...i'd say go with Skype. There are others, but skype is probably the easiest cross platform. That's just my personal opinion.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Just be careful in the installation of AIM. I did and AIM is fine for me.
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Noobie

Mac Noobie is on a distinguished road

If you are looking for full duplex audio and video conferencing then i would suggest http://www.mynetuniverse.com/aaronparker It has many features that AIM SKYPE and WEB X lack such as whiteboard, desktop sharing and any file sharing take a look at the site and if u have any questions PM me hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Mackbook, couple Setup/usage questions... | Ok, the trigger has been pulled »