New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Music folder/iTunes help please!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomasr

thomasr is on a distinguished road

Okay, not sure if I can post this here, but I'm a newbie with Macs, so here is my problem:

I transferred music to my Mac, put it in the Music folder. I've been playing songs through iTunes and everything has been working fine up until tonight. I added some new songs to my Music folder, and all of a sudden some of the songs were moving around to other folders, or maybe duplicating. Duplicates of songs were showing up in my iTunes and no matter how many times I tried to delete them they kept coming back. I also tried deleting them directly from the Music folder and they keep coming back. Then I went to delete my entire iTunes Library and everything was moved to the trash. When I went to put everything back into the Music folder, only half of my songs showed up, and now the other half are missing!

This is really frustrating. I'm just trying to find a way to rename folders and songs, both in my Music folder and in my iTunes, without things switching around on me. Is there some synching problem between the two? I am lost. Help anyone??
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

To re-import your missing music, choose File > Add to Library... and select whatever folder(s) contains your missing music.

Once you've done that, open iTunes Preferences, click the Advanced icon, then click on the General tab. Think very hard about the "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when importing" options. In any event, remember your selections and be aware of them in the future.

iTunes works best if you obey a very simple principle: don't mess with the folders in your Library. Treat it like your wife's purse: if you want something out of it, ask her for it, don't go looking for it yourself. If you want to add file(s) to iTunes, drag them into iTunes. If you want to get a file out of iTunes, drag it out of iTunes. Don't try to reorganize iTunes' folders; you'll only end up confusing both it and yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

lol great advice above
QUOTE Thanks
iscameron

iscameron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz,13'' macbook white, 20" iMac, 16GB iPhone 3G white.

Hey we just got a new Imac for my bro and i transfered all my music and videos from my external hard drive into my account on the computer... after doing so i realized that it would be easier to place my itunes folder in the library so that all the users could access it.. unfortunatel after doing so i found out that i have now used up 40 gb of my hard drive.... now my music is only about 16gb and after moving it i added movies about 8 gb.... which leads me to believe that i have 16 gb of music hiding somewhere in my computer.... this is a total wast eof space and its not in the original folder and there are no dupilcates in the library.... any help please ???
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iscameron View Post
Hey we just got a new Imac for my bro and i transfered all my music and videos from my external hard drive into my account on the computer... after doing so i realized that it would be easier to place my itunes folder in the library so that all the users could access it.. unfortunatel after doing so i found out that i have now used up 40 gb of my hard drive.... now my music is only about 16gb and after moving it i added movies about 8 gb.... which leads me to believe that i have 16 gb of music hiding somewhere in my computer.... this is a total wast eof space and its not in the original folder and there are no dupilcates in the library.... any help please ???

Just answered your question in your other thread. Please don't hijack other's threads.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto albums... windows folders? | PowerBook Provective Cases? »