New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Sleep?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Zakmdot

Zakmdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive, 2.0 GHZ

Hey, I'm gettin a MacBook delivered to me within the next week, and I have a question to ask..

Know how when you close the top to the laptop, it goes to "sleep"? Well, what do you all do?

1. Instead of turning the whole thing off, do you just close the top, and let it sleep?
2. OR do you turn it off completely?
3. If 1 is true, what are some consequences? (Does the fan still run, is the screen under any stress, etc..)

-Thanks in advance!

This burn in me is the coolest thing I've ever felt.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I rarely shut down my Macbook as the Sleep function is great, unlike Windows' sleep function which can be a hit or a miss.

The Macbook essentially suspends itself and uses up little to no battery while in sleep mode. On the outside, it pretty much looks like it's been turned off, the only indication of sleep mode is the pulsing white LED next to the IR port. When you open up the lid, you just pick up from where you left off.

I love the sleep mode on my Macbook. I can just close the lid, throw it in my bag, get to my next class, and just pick up where I left off. This is while all my fellow classmates waste time shutting down and powering up their Windows laptops.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

yeah, I put mine to sleep whenever I'm moving it or leaving it for a little while.. but I do shut it off overnight once a week or so... my MB seems to get a little sluggish when it hasn't been shut off in a while.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

That's an interesting question. As a recent switcher I noticed that mac users tend to use the sleep mode more consequently than pc users. I'm still pc in this aspect that I shut down my MB every night before bedtime:-)
During the day I usually use the sleep mode and the deep sleep mode (hibernation) when away for more than 2 hrs.

hope I was of help.

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
forfan

forfan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook dualcore 2.16, 2G RAM, 120GB HDD

I am also interested in this question.
I think it is totally no problem to use MB in a full time sleep mode and never shut down the machine.
But I recently noticed that in sleep mode, MB consume much more electric than what I thought it ought to be.

Does anyboby have any ideal on this?

A Mac and Linux lover.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I don't notice that much of a power drain when in sleep mode. Perhaps a few minutes here or there, but only when it's been left in sleep mode for a while. If it's just in between classes, the power level essentially stays the same.

Something else I wanted to point out. I used sleep mode exclusively after I bought my Macbook. It wasn't until 3 months later that I actually shut the thing down for a night. Before that, the only time it came close to a full shutdown was during resets.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Craig

Craig is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM

I use the deep sleep widget. It puts the mac into a zero power draining sleep. I think it writes the memory to the HDD and turns of all power. When you hit the power button the memory is reloaded from the HDD and the computer starts back into your desktop.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
I love the sleep mode on my Macbook. I can just close the lid, throw it in my bag, get to my next class, and just pick up where I left off. This is while all my fellow classmates waste time shutting down and powering up their Windows laptops.

' evil laugh ' it feels so good to be able to do something a **** of a lot easier and quiker than class mates !
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

The joys of OS X
QUOTE Thanks
Zakmdot

Zakmdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Harddrive, 2.0 GHZ

Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone! I love this forum, very active. It shipped today Thanks again!

This burn in me is the coolest thing I've ever felt.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakmdot View Post
Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone! I love this forum, very active. It shipped today Thanks again!
You must be excited! Have fun with it;-)

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fonts | where programs on MAC instals ? Or how to run them :))) »