New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Backup Software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

On my iMac I have a 250GB internal system drive, a 250GB USB drive and a 640GB Firewire drive.

I have just got a 2TB Firewire drive which I want to use as a backup drive but I'm wondering what software would be best for me to do the backups.

The System Drive really only has OSX, fonts and applications so what I'd like is for this drive to be backed up once a week as an image so that I could just restore it should the system drive ever fail.

The 640GB and 250GB external drives have different data on them (thousands of photos, mp3's, documents, software dmg files etc etc) which is constantly being added to, modified etc. I'm thinking it would be best to do one total backup followed by incremental ones to just backup new and modified files. I'd like this to be something that can be automated on a daily basis.

Can anyone recommend some software that would be suitable?
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

For backing up your system disk you can use something like CarbonCopyCloner and schedule it to clone your startup volume every week (there's not much point having your system stored as a disk image. If your system disk dies, you really want a bootable copy of it to get back to work straight away).

As for the incremental backups to your photos/music/etc I don't really know the best way of going about it.
QUOTE Thanks
opus_az

opus_az has a spectacular aura about

SuperDuper can do all of that. You'll need different disk partitions for your two kinds of backups; the system image backup, and the user files backups.

SuperDuper has been around for a while and if you ask around I think you'll find it is the top recommendation for home use. The thoroughness of its backups and its ease of use are excellent. And there's a nice community built up around SuperDuper so there's plenty of assistance if you need it.

iMac, MB, MB Air, nano
QUOTE Thanks
Peakoverload

Peakoverload has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.

Cheers guys will check them out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« where programs on MAC instals ? Or how to run them :))) | How to lunch .sit files ? »