New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

applecare on purchase?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

when i purchase my macbook pro...should i purchase it with applecare at very first, or wait further into the free warranty to see if it's a defective model? i know that applecare counts from the time that you purchased the computer not when you purchased apple care, so i am not trying to extend my plan...i just want to hear your opinions. i would like to take advantage of the free warranty as much as i can without endangering my macbook, or wasting a year off the price of applecare. i'm leaning twords waiting before getting it so i can save up a little more to get it. lets see if you guys can convince me to do otherwise .

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

It makes no difference whatsoever.... Other than the fact that if you wait 11 months to get the Applecare, at least your money is earning interest (unless you keep your money under the mattress, then there is REALLY no difference)... Although, it's nice not to worry about forgetting.

I paid for the Applecare on my iMac upfront. I decided to wait to get the Applecare on my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

when i got my mbp i purchased it when i ordered. i just wanted to get it out of my way and not worry about it later on.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Only reason to get the AppleCare sooner rather than later is if you really want an extension to the 90-day phone support. Either that or to make sure you don't forget to buy it later.

The coverage is the same whether you purchase it on day one or day 364 (except for the phone support, of course )

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Ah! I have to get mine before November. =)

QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

applecare for me was the best investment ever, I pretty much got a new computer out of it after all the repairs I have got done over time...
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

LOL, i never thought of it like RIDE did! there is really no difference at all. your money is just collecting interest in the bank. i think i am going to go ahead and just get the macbook, then save up more for the applecare.

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Is applecare actually worth the money?
Surely house insurance does the same thing?? Sure you would have to pay a premium (a few hundred ) but best to spend that if anything happens than to spend it upfront.
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

u can save lots of money on applecare by buying it from ebay
QUOTE Thanks
Levi

Levi has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
Is applecare actually worth the money?
Surely house insurance does the same thing?? Sure you would have to pay a premium (a few hundred ) but best to spend that if anything happens than to spend it upfront.
Your insurance pays out for damage or theft... not usually if the product just stops working.

AppleCare doesn't cover damage or theft; it comes into play if you need support and/or repairs/replacement parts.

There's no point ringing your insurance company and saying "my computer won't boot.... help?", and there's little point going to Apple and saying "my house got burgled... will you replace my computer?". Two different things.

As for buying with the Mac or later; personally I'd wait, just so I'm not paying out too much in one go and I'm fairly confident I can sort out any problem without phone support (yeah, that will come back and bite me in the backside sooner or later, but I like to live live on the edge ).
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

levi you made a very good point about the insurance/apple care thing
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« i need help! :( | iPhoto2Gmail 0.6 ( how to configure and use ? ) »