New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Looking To Buy A Mac.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FederalBmx

FederalBmx is on a distinguished road

Im looking into buying a macbook for college this fall. To be honest i have always used pc and havent used macs since about 4th grade i hated them. I want to get a mac because the laptop i have now overheats alot. Acer aspire and its actuall left burns on me when i fell asleep with it on. Well im not sure which version of a macbook i should get. I do need it powerful enough to run vista because i have a zune and use solidworks and mastercam alot.

1) How fast of a processor should i get?

2) Can this Processor be upgraded later?

3) If i get a smaller harddrive can i upgrade that easily to?

4) If i upgrade to a bigger harddrive how easy is it to install os x?

5) Should I dish out the extra cash for a macbook pro?

6) and should i just wait for leopard to be released along with possible new versions of ilife and stuff?
any response would be appreciated. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FederalBmx View Post
Im looking into buying a macbook for college this fall. To be honest i have always used pc and havent used macs since about 4th grade i hated them. I want to get a mac because the laptop i have now overheats alot. Acer aspire and its actuall left burns on me when i fell asleep with it on. Well im not sure which version of a macbook i should get. I do need it powerful enough to run vista because i have a zune and use solidworks and mastercam alot.
All modern notebooks get warm, including the MacBook. Most manufacturers stopped using the term "laptop" because they are not intended to be used on your lap. Although I highly doubt you would ever been physically burned by one, be aware that they are not supposed to be used on one's lap for extended periods of time.

Quote:
1) How fast of a processor should i get?
It depends on your needs. Obviously, the faster, the better. But if you're just running office applications, surfing the web and doing email, the base models should be fine. If you intend to do some gaming, you might want to consider the MacBook Pro, which has a true discrete graphics card (as opposed to the integrated graphics on the standard MacBook)

Quote:
2) Can this Processor be upgraded later?
No. In fact, there are very few notebooks where it can. None of Apple's notebooks can.

Quote:
3) If i get a smaller harddrive can i upgrade that easily to?
Yes. But the term "easily" is subjective. If you have some experience with disassembling notebooks, it probably won't be a problem. But there are plenty of online guides that can step you through it.

Quote:
4) If i upgrade to a bigger harddrive how easy is it to install os x?
Pretty easy, but I would recommend that you buy an external adapter for your existing hard drive and then restore it to the new one.

Quote:
5) Should I dish out the extra cash for a macbook pro?

any response would be appreciated. thanks.
It depends on what you do with a computer, which you didn't really get into.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

I would get the MacBook Pro 2.2 ghz, obviously 15". Actually, I AM getting that. Ordering tomorrow. So:
1)2.2
2)No
3)Yes, but if you screw it up, your warranty is gone. I am just going to buy the Computer online at apple.com and upgrade the hard-drive there.
4)Very easy
5)Yes, definitely, I'm sure Vista will run smoother on it than with a MacBook. But some will say save your money. I would just as soon get the better machine, just so I know I have that extra power if I ever need it. That's just me though. Hope that helps!
QUOTE Thanks
FederalBmx

FederalBmx is on a distinguished road

well i would like to game a bit. but the only games that this thing can run are civ4. i know laptops or "notebooks" as they call em get warm but this thing runs so hot ive had to dissasemble it about 6 times. replace the harddrive. clean the fan. it would constantly shut off on me. its like a fire hazard with a screen. another reason i want a mac is sometimes it seems easier than dealing with this peice of **** laptop. from what i hear no one has to deal with this on a mac. and mostly im just curious about macs lately.

thanks for the quick replies!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Web cam for Macs? | iphoto for windows »