New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

got water on my macbook!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arsenal07

arsenal07 is on a distinguished road

my cat accidentally spilt my glass of water and some of it got onto my macbook, which was open and on. i wiped the water off and the laptop was still on and working. then suddenly the screen went black although i could still see the outlines of the windows on the screen: it was still on. i switched it off and tried turning it on again but it wouldnt turn on.
a friend said i should tilt the laptop so the water could drip out and i did this, although i tried to turn it on several more times (which i later found out i really shouldnt have done!!)
i'm not sure what to do now...how long should i leave it to dry? should i try turning it on again in a couple of hours?

please help!
QUOTE Thanks
Sherman Homan

Sherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the roughSherman Homan is a jewel in the rough

I don't want to rub salt in a wound, but why do people keep trying to turn on a wet laptop to see if it works? The first thing to do is pull the battery and power cord, immediately. Water is and of itself is pretty much harmless. Logic boards are washed in water during manufacturing process. It is the combination of water and electricity that will fry it. The laptop needs to be opened up and dried out for days!
ifixit.com has excellent surgery manuals.
Best of luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

Give it days to a week.
Water and electricity do not mix. It should have been turned off immediately. Hopefully by not leaving it on till the water did something you didn't fry it to a oblivion.
I wouldn't recommend taking a hair dryer to it or anything. If you can take it apart, go to ifixit.com for a great how to guide.
Otherwise, just let it sit in a very dry room and let it naturally dry itself out.
Personally, the longer the wait, the better chances you have to get it to work again.
Good luck.
Bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

It sounds like the inverter of your MB display got damaged. If so that might get expensive to fix if your guarantee expired or you do not own a protection plan.
Hopefully, drying your MB will help.

I wish you good luck.

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchiki View Post
It sounds like the inverter of your MB display got damaged. If so that might get expensive to fix if your guarantee expired or you do not own a protection plan.
Hopefully, drying your MB will help.

I wish you good luck.

kuchiki
Either way it won't matter. AppleCare does not cover water damage or other accidental breakage.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

it does seem like your backlight went out, the screen you describe looks like when you turn down the brightness to 0. though unfortunately that doesnt mean thats the only problem.

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

This sounds like the one who...............oh never mind.............his was a different liquid.

Seriously - I feel for you. Hope the problem (cheaply) gets solved.
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

if nothing works out, and applecare will not cover it (and your still covered), your macbook is totally dead (in the ground, not working, you can't even sell it for scrap), try faking a hardware failure . run a couple thousand volts through it

oh and one more thing: murder your cat.

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
arsenal07

hey...
just tried turning the macbook on and it worked!! everything works perfectly...

thanks for all the advice though.
guess i was really lucky.
QUOTE Thanks
Ge64

Ge64 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM

ye omg, im happy for you, i wouldve been seriously ****** if my macbook died

www.endlessparadigm.com - forum for fun people

Irssi, client of the future
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal07 View Post
hey...
just tried turning the macbook on and it worked!! everything works perfectly...

thanks for all the advice though.
guess i was really lucky.
there you go! i'm really happy for you. i learned alot from this thread, now i know if i ever spill water, just rip the cord out and take the battery out. awesome.

oh, and did you put your cat in the microwave yet?

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks
arsenal07

haha haven't punished the cat yet but i dont let it into my air-conditioned room with the temperature outside at 47 degrees C...i think it knows it did something wrong
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Even though all seems well, I would still pull that battery out and let it sit/dry out, untouched for the rest of the week, in case there may still be a drop of two of water in there just waiting to do damage.

just my opinion.
QUOTE Thanks
Geeky1

Geeky1 is a jewel in the roughGeeky1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: See Sig...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (s/n removed as it's the same as his ebay s/n- PM me if you want it so you can add it to your list of people not to buy from on ebay- Geeky1) View Post
Take a look at this ebay Item number: (removed for people's own good- Geeky1) if you really want to fix that unit.
Impressive. 5 posts (so far) all spamming your ebay auction. Very nice. Business taken a little downturn lately? Are you really that desperate for customers?

And even nicer than your spamming is the fact that your Ebay auction page fails to note that anybody that sends their machine to you-unless you're an AASP, which I highly doubt-will totally void whatever warranty they may have left with Apple.

Jerk.

Edit: Original post was deleted. I was NOT talking to myself, I swear >_<

MCCCXXXVII
Notebook RAM Buyer's Guide- How much, what type, what brand, where to buy, etc.
MBP: 17" WUXGA/2.4/4GB/160GB 7.2K
G4: Heavily modified Dual 533 DA
QUOTE Thanks
mrhonnesty99

mrhonnesty99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky1 View Post
Impressive. 5 posts (so far) all spamming your ebay auction. Very nice. Business taken a little downturn lately? Are you really that desperate for customers?

And even nicer than your spamming is the fact that your Ebay auction page fails to note that anybody that sends their machine to you-unless you're an AASP, which I highly doubt-will totally void whatever warranty they may have left with Apple.

Jerk.

Edit: Original post was deleted. I was NOT talking to myself, I swear >_<
What warranty the second that water or liquid hit that board , you can that warranty goodbye. give the man a chance to help some people
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My mac is broken please help me | How Do I un-zip a file? »