New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Will my wireless work?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vaughan80

vaughan80 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.

Hi everyone,

Straightforward and probably "dumb" question, but will my wireless Netgear DG834GT work with my macbook pro wirelessly (when I get it)??

How easy is it to set up? I have managed to do it on two PC's already, so i'm guessing it's a similar process. Anything I might need to be aware of?
QUOTE Thanks
visualpurple

visualpurple has a spectacular aura about

if your router is already configured and everything, then all you have to do is pick up the signal with your MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I have yet to find an open wireless network that didn't work with my Macbook. Protected, that's a different story, but if you know the WEP or WPA key, it shouldn't have any problem.

Also I can only assume this is true about the pro, but my Macbook will pull in signals other laptops won't even know are there. In fact, currently at my place of employment, they have building wireless that my corporate issued Dell refuses to connect, while my Macbook just goes 'oh, yeah that network, let me connect to it.'

You should have no problems.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

excellent, just what I wanted to know. thank you.

One more thing, i dont want to go clogging up the forum with loads of threads - how hot does the macbook pro get, and does the battery deplete with time (if so, can you buy another) and what is the average battery life? Apple.com claims 6 hours, but that seems like a long time for a laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
kkelly122

kkelly122 is a jewel in the roughkkelly122 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP l iPhone l iPod

when i got my mbp i usually got around 4 hours with normal use with email and surfing the web.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

its 6 hours with bluetooth off and wi fi off and like everything off and brightness on the lowest and doing nothing.

its about 3.5 hours when watching dvds

it gets less and less when you have more things on ie: bluetooth, Wi-Fi.

so when your not using Wi-Fi and bluetooth etc just turn them off to preserve battery life. Also in the system preferences you can choose energy saving options.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
Hi everyone,

Straightforward and probably "dumb" question, but will my wireless Netgear DG834GT work with my macbook pro wirelessly (when I get it)??

How easy is it to set up? I have managed to do it on two PC's already, so i'm guessing it's a similar process. Anything I might need to be aware of?
Have you had any issues with that Netgear? I did some reading and it seems a lot of people have had issues with that very router, lock ups and WiFi having to be Reset all the time. Just curious.
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

It's actually OK.
At first my internet connection would time out after about an hour, but i changed some settings and everything was ok. My only issue with it, the netgear wireless dongle that came with it is HUGE (and flimsy, cheap plastic) which means that on my PC I can't fit anything into the second USB slot as it takes up too much room. V. Annoying.

I was completely new to wireless routers and networking, this is a lot esaier to set up than I thought it would be.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Your Netgear should work fine with your Mac. I have a Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Router and it works fine will all my Macs. On really hot days though the router locks. That is one reason I asked about yours. I am just using it as an access point in one side of the house. All my Macs connect and work with it just fine as well as my Dlink and 2 Linksys WRT54g's.
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
my Macbook will pull in signals other laptops won't even know are there. In fact, currently at my place of employment, they have building wireless that my corporate issued Dell refuses to connect, while my Macbook just goes 'oh, yeah that network, let me connect to it.'
Is this true of the Macbook Pro as well? Or just the Macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
homer_j

homer_j will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.

i have the same router and I have never had any real issues. The router sometimes does need reseting but I have never put that down to my mac as it has done it with windows machines too.

I have a 3 storey house and I can get a 3 bars out of 4 most times with router being under tv on ground floor and me being on 2nd floor.

Just the road and my MBP.. wohoo.. No wireless networks - DOH! Oh well, wheres my ipod! :headphone
QUOTE Thanks
vaughan80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Your Netgear should work fine with your Mac. I have a Netgear WGT624 108 Mbps Router and it works fine will all my Macs. On really hot days though the router locks. That is one reason I asked about yours. I am just using it as an access point in one side of the house. All my Macs connect and work with it just fine as well as my Dlink and 2 Linksys WRT54g's.
I live in the UK, we never get any hot days.
Well, certainly not lately.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughan80 View Post
That is cool. It's been around 100 and sometimes 105 here lately, so keeping things cool has been an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i know 4 floods!

2 months worth of rain in 24 hours
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

so from the posts in this thread, i have come to the conclusion that my [future] MBP will connect to pretty much any connection like a PC would? there really is not discrimination when it comes to wireless connections right?

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« GPS Compatible? | Played On A Mac For The First Time.. »