New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

MB or MBP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kuklachica

kuklachica is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle

Sorry to ask this question... I'm sure it's a repeat. You can give me a one word answer if you'd like!

My hubby and I will be buying a black MB with 2GB RAM or the "basic" MBP, not sure which, please help us decide.

We've decided to go with a laptop so we can hook it up to the screen we currently have and use it as a desktop and also have the option of using it as a laptop when we need to. We will be using it for word processing, iTunes, internet, occassional photos, and will eventually be running Windows via bootcamp or Parallels. Also will play SimCity and an old Windows 98/XP Yu-gi-oh game.

Which is better - MB or MBP? I've heard MBP has better hardware and will last longer - true? Is it worth the extra few hundred dollars for a bigger screen and devoted graphics card for the things we'll use it for?

Thank you so much for your help.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

If I were you, I would get the macbook... in fact I would save even more money, and get a white macbook.. you can (should) upgrade the RAM and HD anytime you'd like by yourself.... it's very easy.

I was in the exact same boat last week... MacBook Pro or BlackBook... BlackBook or White.... Middle level White, or Base white....

I normally get the top end of everything... But after some advice from a lot of great members here... I went with the Base White (I'm happily posting from it right now )... I have an iMac 20" to burn DVD's and for any intensive programs... I saved over $1,000!

just my $0.02.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

As your right, this question has come up many times in the past, next time I suggest you use the Search function for the forums.

If it were up to me I would just get the MBP if your not looking for a LOT of portability. The MBP will be good at anything you can throw at it from the list that you provided.

EDIT: I usually always suggest a MBP if money isn't a big issue in case I ever want to do video editing or something down the road, just what I would do.
QUOTE Thanks
ajlwoody

ajlwoody is on a distinguished road

MacBook
QUOTE Thanks
jaline

jaline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

If you want the lower end Macbook Pro you're probably going to want to upgrade it eventually. So I would suggest getting the Macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

i was going to get the macbook but i got the macbook pro instead i use it all the time infact im on it right now. ive sold my windows desktop so i only have this now. its great. i would suggest getting the pro. becuase of the bigger screen if you want to watch dvd's or edit videos
QUOTE Thanks
jaline

jaline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM

Whenever I watch videos, I never put the video area to full-screen. I do make the program window into a full-screen, but not the video screen itself (so that the video screen in centered and there is black around the rest of the screen). I think I'm one of the only people who do this, but that's another reason why larger screens don't matter to me. I don't use that function much.
QUOTE Thanks
Hammondc

Hammondc is an unknown at this point

I am going with MBP because it already has 2G of ram, 15" screen, better GFX card and the super duper sweet backlit keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

the MBs are cute but i need a large screen and hardware specs that will last a long time (to support future os/apps) so i went for the higher end 15" mbp.
QUOTE Thanks
leon1878

leon1878 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 1.83GHz, 1.25GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, ipod 30GB Video

A sticky on this subject would be a lot of help to people who are not sure.
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macwillis View Post
i was going to get the macbook but i got the macbook pro instead i use it all the time infact im on it right now. ive sold my windows desktop so i only have this now. its great. i would suggest getting the pro. becuase of the bigger screen if you want to watch dvd's or edit videos
I'm with Macwillis on this one. I went from Windows desktop to the portablity of a 17" MBP and upgraded the ram myself. Plus I sved about $1200 AUS by buying one of the models thatwas being upgraded (core duo instead of the new core 2 duo) It can do anything the desktop I had at hoem could do and more. In fact I don't see much of a difference between it and the Mac Pro at work performance wise.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

Macbook, unless you are thinking of ever playing new games, then you might consider MBP
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« a comparable program to MS paint? | so i've got my new mac all set up »