New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Experiences with Refurbished Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crosby87

crosby87 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook 2.0 GHz 1 GB Ram 120 GB HD

I'm pretty new to the Mac world and was curious to see people's opinions on buying refurbished Macs from Apple's website. I'm interested in picking up a Macbook and wanted to hear people's experiences with it. I'm on a semi-tight budget so saving a couple of hundred bucks would be great, but I've been debating on buying a refurb or buying new because I'm worried about having problems with a refurb. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

They're fine, and come with the same warrantee as the new. I don't have experience with refurbed Macs, but my experience with refurbed iPods has been great! Got three of them and they all are like new.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I purchased an ipod mini refurb like 2 years ago and it never had a problem. Ive purchased a macbook and imac with the last 6 months both refurbed and havent had an ounce of trouble.
Its the way to go. Id never pay full price again.
bryan

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

I think is silly to buy a brand new apple computer. Only buy refurb. Same exact product (except the box it comes in!), a lot less money.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

This question has been asked several times. Generally people have good luck.
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

when thet say refurbished, do they come like kind of scarthed and stuff.? whay im traying to say is, is there any obvious signs that the computer has been used

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

The first refurb I had was in perfect condition. The MBP had a few little dings when inspected closely. It wasn't a big deal.
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Mine came in perfect condition.
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I have also purchased many refurb Mac over the years and have not one complaint.
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

I don't know why, but usually, even though I have a low budget, I will pay the extra money to get something brand new. It's just that great feeling of opening the box and knowing your item is brand new.
QUOTE Thanks
elbolao23

elbolao23 is on a distinguished road

i think the same way, but when you look at it saving 200 0r 300 dollars on a item identical to the new you cant go wrong.....unless its all scratched and stuff then to ME it wouldnt be worth it...

is there a way to know or see pictures of the refurbished items you are about to buy

QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbolao23 View Post
i think the same way, but when you look at it saving 200 0r 300 dollars on a item identical to the new you cant go wrong.....unless its all scratched and stuff then to ME it wouldnt be worth it...

is there a way to know or see pictures of the refurbished items you are about to buy
No but remember that you have 14 days to return it if you dont like it. But I am telling that the likelihood of it coming scratched and scuffed is slim to none.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonb View Post
No but remember that you have 14 days to return it if you dont like it. But I am telling that the likelihood of it coming scratched and scuffed is slim to none.
Exactly. Apple doesn't play like that, their customers would crucify them and they know it.

Picky users. Looks count to us, even the recent switchers like me. I used to not care what my computer looked like, with this thing, I do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« photos in e mail | MBP benefits? »