New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

so i've got my new mac all set up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stophe

stophe is on a distinguished road

and i know this isn't a mac related question, but i had to ask it. i want to clear off my old PC laptop and use it as sort of a portable hard drive. is there any way i can clear everything off of it w/o taking it somewhere for money?
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

You can buy a 2.5" hard drive enclosure that connects via USB for pretty cheap, take out the hard drive from your laptop, throw it in the enclosure, reformat it on your Mac, and you've got yourself a clean portable hard drive...

Edit: They're all over Newegg.com for as little as $7 ------> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2&name=USB+2.0
QUOTE Thanks
stophe

very nice
QUOTE Thanks
ste6168

ste6168 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophe View Post
very nice
or if you dont want to take your lappy apart you could always just use your windows disk or restore disk and restore your windows laptop... that would erase everything and i guess in some way you could use it as a portable drive?? who would want to use a windows laptop for anything though, eek
QUOTE Thanks
cmcveay

cmcveay is on a distinguished road

I'm also a recent "convert" from almost 20yrs of PC use to a 15" MBP. I've got a Windows laptop and desktop and I've been going through the same questions about what to do with them and I've come up with an interesting solution. The old WIN laptop is going to be transformed into a touch screen jukebox! I make furniture for fun so the laptop will become a part of a piece of furniture that's an entertainment center piece too! The desktop? I took it apart this afternoon to clean it up and I pulled the 750GB of HDD's out to convert into external drives for storage. The 10 and 20GB drives I've got laying around are going into the old desktop and it's going to become a linux machine to play with.

There's always something fun to do with the old PC gear!
QUOTE Thanks
stophe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste6168 View Post
or if you dont want to take your lappy apart you could always just use your windows disk or restore disk and restore your windows laptop... that would erase everything and i guess in some way you could use it as a portable drive?? who would want to use a windows laptop for anything though, eek
yeah thats more what i was thinking. i like both ideas, we'll see
EDIT: but wait.. how do i do the restore disk thing. is that doable by myself?
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

I personally would just buy an external drive, so that you don't have to deal with any modding, and then use the old laptop for playing a really basic game like an old flight sim. or something. Hook up a joystick!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MB or MBP | Comic life »