New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Switcher Hangout The place for switchers to discuss their new machines, and how to work with OS X. General support can be had here for newbie stuff, like "How do I restart my new iMac?" :)

Whats the main reason you got a Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Destructive

Destructive is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle

What is the main reason you got a mac?

Was it the user friendly interface, a specific application only available on OSX, or the price, or what?
QUOTE Thanks
eliehass

eliehass has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM

i doubt anyone gets for the price, being as macs are more expensive. I got it for the user interface, better performance and increased reliability.

shameless plug for my blog
QUOTE Thanks
-Jack

-Jack can only hope to improve

Quote:
being as macs are more expensive
incorrect, if you try to customize a notebook as the same specs as a macbook or something they are usually more expensive as macs have core 2 duo processers which is great for laptops and would cost a fortune to match the superb specs of a mac to a pc
QUOTE Thanks
Macwillis

Macwillis is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram

i got mine becuase no-1 else i knew at the time had one. and i didnt want viruses and the hassle of antivirus software and installing stuff onto a crap os.

mac is just beter its eaiser to use.

that my opinion anyways
i have a Macbook Pro C2D 2.16ghz 1gb ram 120gb hdd
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

It makes you really cool

All the popular kids want to be your friend and all the girls start to notice you.

I'm considering getting a Mac mini to carry around on my back for more attention.
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

It's in right now.
QUOTE Thanks
C J Adamik

C J Adamik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20 Inch Imac

I just got tired of Micro$oft.
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

...got tired of Micro$oft and chicks dig Mac's! loL!

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
mongoloido

mongoloido is on a distinguished road

My first computer was an Apple II+. I've also owned a low end Quadra, and a G4 Mac. I've loved them all. I have also built my own Windows gaming PC, which I love too.

In the end, I've made a peaceful compromise with a MacBook Pro laptop, and a Windows desktop for gaming.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

I used a Macintosh at work 15 years ago, the switch to Intel makes it possible to use some software not available for the Mac, I needed a new computer, the Mac software is so clever, I am tired of Windows problems and the Mac hardware is so cool.....
QUOTE Thanks
killedbyinterne

killedbyinterne will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.4 GHz C2D 160 GB HDD 2 GB RAM

I got a Mac because of their stability and I want to learn Final Cut Pro.

"Live hard, love harder."
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jack View Post
incorrect, if you try to customize a notebook as the same specs as a macbook or something they are usually more expensive as macs have core 2 duo processers which is great for laptops and would cost a fortune to match the superb specs of a mac to a pc
thats a real bad argument. Most Intel computers have Core 2 now.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I initially ditched windows for personal use around 2000 or so, switching to Linux. I never purchased any Windows after Win95, now that I think of it. Still went through versions of Windows at work, but that puts food on the table, and I really work more with UNIX machines than Windows. For my wife, yeah she had an XP PC that I built. In 2005, the Mac Mini had come out and I knew MacOS X was really a version of UNIX. My Redhat machine was starting to get a little outdated, and at the same time I decided that I was tired of tinkering with my own machine for its sake, bought the Mac Mini, and retired the old Linux box after transferring all my stuff to the Mac.

Thus began the Great Mac Experiment of 2005. Would this little cute, silent computer be able to replace my big honking Linux box? I kept the Linux box turned off but nearby in case I needed to fire it up for anything. After about six months, I decided that indeed, yes it can replace the Linux machine, put the Linux box in a closet, and convinced my wife that she should get a Mac Mini too. Her machine was beginning to frustrate her, and she was taking note that my Mac didn't frustrate me at all. Granted, I'm a computer technical guy, but I didn't have to do any 'fixing' with my Mac. It runs all my shell scripts that I wrote to do useful things on Linux. It did stuff for me. Hers did stuff for her, and was thrilled with the new platform. Mild amusement at Windows issues is a sport around here.

Fast forward to January of this year, and two Macbooks now live with us serving us loyally. As my brother in law, who switched about three months ago said after using his Macbook "With a Mac, it's all about me."
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

I was sick of viruses, crashes, not being able to find any good editing software, having a tower, having to choose between all the different manufacturers, and my PC was just awful. It took 7 minutes to boot up and load a browser.

There are other reasons I can't think of.
QUOTE Thanks
shoelessone

shoelessone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jack View Post
Dude, no offense but you are so wrong about this.

Ok, not SOOO wrong, but in general, a laptop with similar specks will be cheaper. Most respectable laptop manufactorers use Core 2 Duo cpus at this point, as are most desktops.

I myself try to justify the price, and to some extent you can say Macs are about equally prices IF you are a student and count the student discount + fre ipod + free printer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« disabled Java and the next time i launched Safari i had Safari 4 beta | Disconnecting and connecting external drives. »